Thread: pirates RIP sez NYT

Default pirates RIP sez NYT

pirates on way out cos internet and cos licenses sez New York Times

i'm surprised that there are still fifty left tbh

"Now that Rinse is a licensed station, the contrast with Kool, a former competitor, is stark. Kool operates out of a grim warehouse with flickering bulbs and patchy black paint, but Rinse has leather couches, its own record label, and corporate partners like Smirnoff"

rinse has gone so dull now, mates on there playing house and techno lol. not gonna cuss em out or anything but come on there are about 5 trillion house and techno podcasts anyway.

also i hope deep tech dies soon so UK sound system music can escape the tyranny of the 4x4 kickdrum.

Only ever works fantastically with cold, inhuman techno. well, chicago house but that's like 30 years ago now so excluding it.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    also i hope deep tech dies soon so UK sound system music can escape the tyranny of the 4x4 kickdrum.

Only ever works fantastically with cold, inhuman techno. well, chicago house but that's like 30 years ago now so excluding it.

this tweet comes to mind when i think of the overcrowding of techno/house djs these days
    https://twitter.com/2SHIN/status/763746919265013761

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

When Flex FM got their license not too long ago it felt like some great totem of Pirate radio had been toppled over,i suppose it does come off silly to some to be mournful of some of these weird rikkity old stations in the face of the internet and community licenses but they are important and in some way or another they should still be continuing and carrying on because there is an important legacy to them.

But the issue nobody has an answer to is how to these places "modernize" without becoming dull and tasteless.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WebEschatology View Post
    this tweet comes to mind when i think of the overcrowding of techno/house djs these days
    https://twitter.com/2SHIN/status/763746919265013761

punk > post-punk/industrial, experimental pop > alt rock/indie.

maps onto

detroit techno > stomping euro/industrial/hardcore techno > kompakt style poppy techno > all the post-minimal styles today.

obvs these things aren't diochronic and previous scenes exist, but in muted form.