Listening to A Clockwork Orange

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
on audiobook, read by Tom Hollander, is a fucking religious experience. I mean, when I trip on Lysergic now I think in NADSAT. And women love it, just drives them bonkers. I can't say enough. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but for the, you know, unconverted, you can experience it yourself for free on YouTube:
On a related but weirdly unrelated note, if anyone's aware of any song lyrics written in NADSAT - other than David Bowie's "Girl Loves Me" - I'd love to hear about it. I'm sort of aware but sort of afraid to talk about it.

Oh and long time no see Dissensus! You don't remember me I'm sure but to catch you up to speed, I've been sort of mute and adrift and this is the first time I've attempted or even wanted to communicate with the outside world since the last time we spoke, which was around mid-2009.

luka

hellow again bratty.plug your mozg into the dematerialisation thread we are going to transcend this prison cell planet through the power of conecptual-banter. we've discovered a new technique.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Alright AN, long time no see. What's up? First I'd like to apologise on luka's behalf for his hijacking your first post in nine years to try and get someone else's attention.

I've always loved A Clockwork Orange and can see how it would work particularly well as an audiobook. I dig invented languages in literature but there's something particularly interesting in languages that aren't completely made up but are based on real language, like Nadsat or all the Arabic-based (and Persian, Hebrew, Turkish...) words in Dune. Finnegans Wake is almost a language in its own right, a sort of hyper-mutated English. Newspeak I guess is the exact opposite - a stunted English deliberately stripped of all ambiguity and nuance. Can't think of any others right but there must be loads.

And women love it, just drives them bonkers.

Lol, are you talking about actually listening to an audiobook while doing a malenky bit of the old in-out with a devotchka, or have I misread you here?

luka

Mr Tea's gone rogue! "since he never apologises himself, i would like to apologise on behalf of luka... for something he didn't do"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
bratty means brother in NASDAT, it's not a misspelling of Barty.

Well given Barty's sudden appearance in that thread I did think you were just shouting at him. I assumed you two had got to the stage of pet names. Ha, sorry. As you were.

luka

Well given Barty's sudden appearance in that thread I did think you were just shouting at him. I assumed you two had got to the stage of pet names. Ha, sorry. As you were.

easy mistake to make. i should have kept it simple and said 'droog'

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
A few too many knives in my moloko tonight, or screens in my gulliver, or let's face it MBB and LCK doing the ultraviolence for all the world to viddy on MY ALIEN MIND SCREEN to really feel the embrace of an old haunt but believe me if I could, I would. It is appreciated.

Sorry to keep circling back to/around this but if it rings any bells PM me or something, any of it: 1) HYPNO-POP.... very evil, very cute, circular kind of mechanical loops that put you in a trance 2) LOLLY-GAGGING ON A MILLYBOB or I don't know MILLYBOBBING ON A LOLLYPOP or 3) THOMAS C. (something)

Anyway, regarding invented languages etc, first Anthony Burgess wrote an excellent study of Joyce called ReJoyce, definitely worth checking out. And I cannot recommend Donald Theall enough (McLuhan's only protege, other than his son Eric) and specifically his book James Joyce's Techno-Poetics. It's all about the new language/consciousness/environments introduced by the digital, and ties it all in with Walter Benjamin and the radical modernists and the like.

Second, every invented language coincides with a type of consciousness. The language of the Wake requires a unique state of consciousness, and I guess every novelist or poet worth his salt you know has to rework and reinvent language to put you in a state of consciousness, or a frame (like a film frame), or in the simplest sense a medium that immerses the reader absolutely. We all have an internal monologue (I think, I assume...) and each one has its own internally-consistent language. I guess if there's one measure you could subject a writer to it would be: how deep and how convincingly can he/she pull you into its trance.

Which for me raises the question, what about coding? Isn't this a recently invented language? Are we in its consciousness, and if we are, how would it know, how would we know, and could we get out of its trance? Or would it just mean we're all broken. I wish I knew. I hope I never find out.

Anyway, back to American Psycho on YouTube, the part where he kills Jeanette or Christie or whoever the fuck. Is there a difference anymore? Not for me. I'm firmly in the Duchamp school of active indifference.

Oh and if I don't make it back (I want to, I'm going to fight my instincts and try like hell(, here's what I was up to:
paramodern.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Lol, are you talking about actually listening to an audiobook while doing a malenky bit of the old in-out with a devotchka, or have I misread you here?

yeah but only in hyperspace. Don't know what else to say except Daisy Ridley's really into it :p uh some mean looks coming my way um Alicia Vikander is the best of all time, it's Alicia 1.a.A and Daisy 1.A.a ..... ah to hell with it I AM FUKTTTTT.

Nah they just into it. The gentlemen's goloss, the height of fashion, etc.

luka

blog looks great. youve been barking up the same trees i have although my feeling is that the time is ripe and we can put away our fictional disguises and equivocations and come out in the open. it's our moment and there are prizes up for grabs.

we can just say it all openly now.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
YESSSSSSS agree 1000%

What you call dematerialization I have been calling de-realization. I can't articulate it now because I'm just too tired and about to go for my morning jog but simply put: we used to think space and time were absolute, the same everywhere. This was an assumption built into our perception of reality, and we were wrong. I think we do the same thing with our notion of existence or reality, in the sense we think something either ABSOLUTELY exists or ABSOLUTELY does not exist. To be or not to be. This assumption is built into language, into the core of logic itself, and I don't think this is an accident. This assumption is also incorrect. Which leads to the idea that something's existence can be variable, ie something can 30% exist or 90% exist, etc. This concept is near impossible to comprehend or articulate, because again it violates the core of logic and language itself (the "to be" verb/concept), but quantum mechanics, especially the Schrodinger wave equations, led us to this inevitable conclusion. Something's reality or existence is a variable quantity.

Which leads to the real insight, the important takeaway: reality is getting less real, it is going from 90% to 80% or whatever, while SIMULATION is getting more real. That's what I mean by de-realization and I bet that's close to what you mean by dematerialization.

luka

when you're back in command of it all and feel able to hold it there and articulate it
again come back and help me out here. you've got a hold of something.

luka

what are your thoughts on this AN? what it symbolises and represents and what it is symptomatic of.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Well I just posted a reply on the thread. The sickest thing I could come up with (something like "I bet his willpower and intelligence tastes sweet, maybe a little buttery. I would eat him alive"). Currently awaiting the wave of Twitter outrage that will never arrive for some reason :crylarf:

Oh and I called everyone in the thread cunts. I bet I get away with it.:cool:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
we used to think space and time were absolute, the same everywhere. This was an assumption built into our perception of reality, and we were wrong. I think we do the same thing with our notion of existence or reality, in the sense we think something either ABSOLUTELY exists or ABSOLUTELY does not exist. To be or not to be. This assumption is built into language, into the core of logic itself, and I don't think this is an accident. This assumption is also incorrect. Which leads to the idea that something's existence can be variable, ie something can 30% exist or 90% exist, etc. This concept is near impossible to comprehend or articulate, because again it violates the core of logic and language itself (the "to be" verb/concept), but quantum mechanics, especially the Schrodinger wave equations, led us to this inevitable conclusion. Something's reality or existence is a variable quantity.

Some good stuff here. As it happens I wrote a story a few years ago that featured a man who only partially existed: https://dointhelambethwarp.wordpress.com/2015/12/11/st-clements/

There's a Henry James story called 'The Jolly Corner' that centres around a person who exists as a potentiality or a sort of alternate history - which ties neatly into your post because it reminds me of Hugh Everett's 'many worlds' interpretation of QM.

Last edited:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Loving the clinical Ballardian style, the inventory of anomalies. This is fantastic and look forward to digging deeper into Lambeth and the Dissensus novel.

Incidentally I have a bit of experience with spontaneous involuntary (and unwanted) time travel. It was all terrible, I witnessed some of the worst. Like, did you know the Romans gang raped Jesus before his crucifixion so he "wouldn't die a virgin"? Or that Pilate and Judas, watching the precession to Golgotha, cast lots for bragging rights to his murder? I watched Jesus change genders on the cross. I, with a flock of vultures, had to protect the bastard during his misguided excursion into the wilderness. I regret every favor I did for the man, and that's all he was, a man. A spiritual savant, sure, but all too human, and a fucking vicious insincere bastard, and kind of fraudulent, but this was so clear from his bezoomy sermonizing and sophical oratory theatrics which always ended with a stab and twist to the logic of his morality that even I could forgive him for it. But he never forgave me.

I told them everything too. Everything that would happen if they went through with the crucifixion, which was avoidable. But alas Jesus was a vain, venal, vile fame whore and he got what he deserved.

Bear in mind I am admittedly, and certifiably, crazy, and I was under the spell for the two or three weeks, floating on cannabis which unwinded me when said "visions" occurred, but I know dream from clear and this one felt real, like the smell of something that evokes old lost, buried, and broken memories only to reveal itself, discovered in a flash, electrifying these forgotten scenes which lie dormant for revelation. Hopefully it was my mind that shattered at the end of it, not someone else's, or the world's.

Bolshy bezoomy with crazy orbiting eye, I am that canned crazy, I know, but alternate realities like polytheism have been around longer than monoreality - which insists logic has been stretched to the limit and nothing past reality can exist even as a concept. Monotheism, the monouniverse assume we inhabit a totality, like we know dark matter and dark energy don't have designs on gravity, matter, black holes. The object to our subject, but wait there's more, so much more, and the news gets worse and worse. History is one big joke played on mankind by a sadistic psychopath.

Last edited:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Okay re: involuntary time travel. I'm being a bitch. It hasn't been all bad. Like the time I watched Killer Party with mid-80's (I think) Van Halen, who were just the best guys. Like, we only hung out for a few hours, but that was the closest I've come to just relaxing, hanging out with other heterosexual dudes, and just having a good time. In my life.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Loving the clinical Ballardian style, the inventory of anomalies. This is fantastic and look forward to digging deeper into Lambeth and the Dissensus novel.

Thanks. The story is part of a series of weird tales I wrote on a one-a-day basis during Advent a few years ago and the 'Dissensus the novel' project was an attempt at a multi-author, 'multimedia' project (well it had text and images, anyway) involving Dissensians taking the piss out of Dan Brown. A few people got involved and it was fun for a couple of weeks but then fizzled out, as these things often do. (Edit: feel free to contribute the next chapter if you're so inclined!)

That talk of Jesus/Pilate/Judas makes me think of The Master And Margarita, which I read earlier this year and which made a big impression on me (one of those 'believe the hype' books, I think). Although Pilate is a fairly sympathetic character in that book, if I remember right.

Last edited: