sadmanbarty

oi patty, i just seen you liked dj ss- black on choon of the day.

in terms of component parts they're very, very similar (growling bass, etherial bird in the background, prominent drums):

explain the divergence, it's interesting.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
you'll have to tease this out for me a bit more i think. im wondering what qualifies as surface and subterranean in reference to music. can music hide anything? if so, how?
i think we can hide from it, in the way we can recoil from a caress
but how can it hide from us?

so i get the technical side of this music. it's a continuation of the distillation, reducing down to the bare necessities to get people moving. that's cool. but on a personal, value laden level i have an instant recoil to things which are this devoid of (gonna have to go there) soul. it's a product of the time. and maybe the problem lies with me and my curmudgeonly resistance. but i just can't click with something so utterly base in it's mentality. like sure, you can look at it from the philosophical pov and see that as some kind of reaching an ultimate truth about us as humans. but i don't know if that makes it something i have to submit to (?) also see how it's inevitable given the landscape of a generation of people raised on computer games, the internet and drugs. that's what this music sounds like to me. a child exposed to all of the worst possibilities of life and trying to feel in control, but totally overwhelmed and getting out of their mind to escape it. ultimately i just hear sadness. total despair. like the reverting back to computer game soundtrack sounds is innocence lost, clear as day. but then to dress that up in the form it takes, to flip it in this way, to me just feels like evil won. there's no turning back.

so with that out of the way. assuming you're not being facetious. surface level obviously means there's no depth. no reward for repeated listens. like the film where you notice new things each watch. the shit that stirs your innards.

perry farrell (soulful infantilizer) does a decent job of saying what i mean here:

4:47

"I looked at making a record like making a salad. I go, you know, Janet Jackson, she just gives you lettuce. And she calls that a salad. But I give you the croutons, and the shredded cabbage and the shredded lettuce. You know what I mean? And the really good dressing and the seasoning and stuff like that. You know, I don't just call lettuce a salad. I think past that. And the only way to do that is to concentrate, concentrate, concentrate on it. And when you're concentrating on it like that, you can't possibly turn around and start dealing with these men that are twice your age, that have fucked people all the way up. And have got you by the balls now."

current rap sounds like there was no concentration involved. it rejects it. maybe it's got none to give. and it sounds sold out. it sounds like the corporates have literally got the rappers by their autotuned balls. it only takes a few hits for everyone to follow. it's the sound of the conspiraverbial satanics taking over.

just say no to lettuce. demand your croutons, i say.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Everyone in the world was thinking what Scud (RIP) was thinking - ie this would be AMAAAAZING combined with noise - Scud was first cos he was in tune with the 414 (Brixton) and a whole bunch of noise stuff to do with the Slimelight. It wasn't an accident, it was a bunch of brilliant confluences. Hopefully they will come again but it takes more than x plus noise nowadays. Then it was a miracle when DJ Tubby (before the dubstep Tubby) played Merzbow over jungle at the Vauxhall Tavern, a gay club in London, and it was the first time it had EVER been done, it was Tubby that did it first.

sadmanbarty

so i get the technical side of this music. it's a continuation of the distillation, reducing down to the bare necessities to get people moving. that's cool. but on a personal, value laden level i have an instant recoil to things which are this devoid of (gonna have to go there) soul. it's a product of the time. and maybe the problem lies with me and my curmudgeonly resistance. but i just can't click with something so utterly base in it's mentality. like sure, you can look at it from the philosophical pov and see that as some kind of reaching an ultimate truth about us as humans. but i don't know if that makes it something i have to submit to (?) also see how it's inevitable given the landscape of a generation of people raised on computer games, the internet and drugs. that's what this music sounds like to me. a child exposed to all of the worst possibilities of life and trying to feel in control, but totally overwhelmed and getting out of their mind to escape it. ultimately i just hear sadness. total despair. like the reverting back to computer game soundtrack sounds is innocence lost, clear as day. but then to dress that up in the form it takes, to flip it in this way, to me just feels like evil won. there's no turning back.

i can't give this enough likes.

this is dissensus at it's best. this is what i think luke was trying to get on the dematerialisation thread.

(obviously i disagree, but that's why it's so good.)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

so with that out of the way. assuming you're not being facetious. surface level obviously means there's no depth. no reward for repeated listens. like the film where you notice new things each watch. the shit that stirs your innards.

perry farrell (soulful infantilizer) does a decent job of saying what i mean here:

4:47

"I looked at making a record like making a salad. I go, you know, Janet Jackson, she just gives you lettuce. And she calls that a salad. But I give you the croutons, and the shredded cabbage and the shredded lettuce. You know what I mean? And the really good dressing and the seasoning and stuff like that. You know, I don't just call lettuce a salad. I think past that. And the only way to do that is to concentrate, concentrate, concentrate on it. And when you're concentrating on it like that, you can't possibly turn around and start dealing with these men that are twice your age, that have fucked people all the way up. And have got you by the balls now."

current rap sounds like there was no concentration involved. it rejects it. maybe it's got none to give. and it sounds sold out. it sounds like the corporates have literally got the rappers by their autotuned balls. it only takes a few hits for everyone to follow. it's the sound of the conspiraverbial satanics taking over.

just say no to lettuce. demand your croutons, i say.

Is there music that doesn't make you feel like this?

luka

i think this is objectively wrong.

it's a continuation of the distillation, reducing down to the bare necessities

i think this is objectively true.

it's a product of the time.

i think this is halfway true

the problem lies with me and my curmudgeonly resistance.

i just can't click with something so utterly base in it's mentality. like sure, you can look at it from the philosophical pov and see that as some kind of reaching an ultimate truth about us as humans. but i don't know if that makes it something i have to submit to

this is the nub of the resistance and what needs to be interrogated. what is the mentality? how do you divine the mentality? i locate a disconnect or a tension (depending on how you look at it) between lyrical and musical information. i think they are working on different time-tracks. the lyrics belong to the earlier current, the music is partaking of (and creating) the current current. the lyrics act as a decelerator to some degree, an anchor, as ballast, or, to look at it another way/weigh, as counter-weight, to keep the project grounded, so it doesn't float off into the aether like a fugitive helium balloon.

ultimately i just hear sadness. total despair.

but this is just the off/on switch. this is just the yes/no switch. this is just the comedy/tragedy switch. this is the whole point of it all. both are equally true both equally real. we create in the liminal space between them. betwixt the in-between of is and might have been.

celliermasks.jpg

version

version deleted a post saying how all the kids who dealt weed at his school listened to bassline.

It wasn't the kids, it was the adults who used to sell to us. They'd come through in hatchbacks, pick you up, drive you around with T2 and Tom Zanetti playing the whole time then drop you off somewhere.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
but with posts like

DO THE DESCRIPTIONS AND EXPLANATIONS LEFT UNDER THE SONGS NOT HELP YOU AT ALL? YOU CANT CONNECT THE WORDS TO THE MUSIC? MAYBE TRY DOING LOADS OF ACIDS THEN WHEN YOU ARE PEAKING DO A MASSIVE HIT OF DMT ALL WHILE LISTENING TO THE SAME SONGS AND PERHAPS THAT WILL PROVIDE WHAT WILLIAM S BURROUGHS ALWAYS REFFERED TO AS A 'PORT OF ENTRY'

it feels like you at least want me to see it differently than i do

luka

we're talking about what it does and what it represents. taste is a red herring and it demolishes all productive conversation. there's music you get and music you havent understood yet. getting music means it does to you what it is designed to do to you. it doesnt mean being able to see it as a set of musical notations. it means it plays you. it makes you the instrument. if you havent let this music do that to you, you havent understood it.