padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
and yet we're not allowed to use jane's addiction as an example
nah ofc u can the two Jane's Addiction LPs are both pretty cool, good bass player (and Dave Navaro SHREDDING fwiw)

don't take luka + barty too seriously they're just giving you a hard time man

like what u like you see how I do it

tho Perry Farrell does need to get FOH dissing Janet. Janet Jackson >>> Perry Farrell on Rhythm Nation alone

padraig (u.s.)

get in where you fit in i.e. contribute where you can

sometimes you gotta stick up for yourself or your tastes is all

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
whoa dudes, i was feigning my indignance there. just playing along with u. hence throwing that vid in the mix, knowing full well dissensus' fetish for rnb.

plus, shredded lettuce is far superior.

a pinch of salt with each post.

luka

im just cooking my dinner padraig but i'll have a listen to those when it gets to the stage where i can
let it do its own thing for an hour or so

luka

i dont dislike any of those records padraig though it does make me curious about where you locate the bliss. presumably in a certain pummeling aspect? the kind of intensity that comes from dialling up the force and pressure? im just casting about here, without preconceptions.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i locate a disconnect or a tension (depending on how you look at it) between lyrical and musical information. i think they are working on different time-tracks. the lyrics belong to the earlier current, the music is partaking of (and creating) the current current. the lyrics act as a decelerator to some degree, an anchor, as ballast, or, to look at it another way/weigh, as counter-weight, to keep the project grounded, so it doesn't float off into the aether like a fugitive helium balloon.

Hasn't hip hop (are we talking about hip hop specifically? I think so. I'll presume we are) been the subject of a lyrical/musical disconnect for most of its lifetime? It's the form of the divergence now that seems novel.

The relentless materialism, violence and misogyny of the lyrics does keep it grounded, as a set of known signifiers, a subcultural unity in the same way as heavy metal. This is what we talk about. But it's surely also a testimony, whether conscious, unconscious or some other mode - this is precisely why the music has had to become ethereal, because there was no way out through language.

luka

a lyrical/musical disconnect for most of its lifetime?

im not sure i would go along with this. e.g.
but i like this

it's surely also a testimony, whether conscious, unconscious or some other mode - this is precisely why the music has had to become ethereal, because there was no way out through language

a great deal.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks. Yeah, maybe the divergence doesn't go back that far, was thinking more of the standard mainstream=sonic innovation+(formally clever)lyrical bluntness vs underground=sonic stuckness+reflective lyrics from the mid 90s on

padraig (u.s.)

where you locate the bliss
ya those are heavier on the gurgling. I was sifting - mentally/YT clicking - thru a lotta things trying to satisfy both halves of gurgling and bliss.

there is a kind of bliss there - not just pummeling tho that is a part - like the intensity of a trip peaking, getting pummeled by pure experience. gurgling to me in this context suggests being off your face if not necessarily on drugs. but straight acid doesn't cover it, be it acid house, banging Liberator style whatever - I was trying to think of oddly angled acid records. also the difference between bliss and joy - much harder to locate bliss. actually thinking in it the perfect example is probably blissed out classic jungle records - related to but not quite the same as ambient jungleI think the sadman said in some other thread, or maybe this one, about the pummeling drums contrasted with soothing synth-pad (and sometimes vocal sample), i.e.
but even those aren't really "gurgling" - you could locate it in the bass but I don't that really captures it