thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i think that floating points dude has the potential to make decent rnb but he needs to stop using wack ass hip hop and neo soul beats from 1995 cos that's boring and bare west london. also arps just vex me.

i know man has loads of disco mixes but i don't think im down with hes geeky approach. with dev null its cool coz hardcore is always good even when its geeky.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
i've thrown in the towel trying to keep up with new shit. sure there's some interesting sound design here n there. but i just can't connect. like everything in the acid rap thread leaves me confused more than anything. i know this means i'm old guy now. whatever. but it got me wondering. what's it going to take to make the current kids confused in like 10 years time? like imagine a 35yo in 2020 shaking his head and muttering about how at least lil yachty new how to mumble.

luka

DO THE DESCRIPTIONS AND EXPLANATIONS LEFT UNDER THE SONGS NOT HELP YOU AT ALL? YOU CANT CONNECT THE WORDS TO THE MUSIC? MAYBE TRY DOING LOADS OF ACIDS THEN WHEN YOU ARE PEAKING DO A MASSIVE HIT OF DMT ALL WHILE LISTENING TO THE SAME SONGS AND PERHAPS THAT WILL PROVIDE WHAT WILLIAM S BURROUGHS ALWAYS REFFERED TO AS A 'PORT OF ENTRY'

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
but it's not even psychedelic. that thread should be called perco-rap or whatever. it's infantilization at it's peak. doing trips and diving into that would be like swimming in the mind juice of a clenched fetus.

luka

infantalisation is part of the psychedelic experience, but in a way which runs counter to the
capitalist-consumer infantilisation. this should be obvious i would have thought.

camel---->lion----->child

luka

it's why i keep coming back to the phrase gurgling bliss.
i think it captures that end of the experience. you do trace out that backwards journey. layers, accretions, strata, years falling away till you have the wide-eyed infant blinking under an unfamiliar sun.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
infantalisation is part of the psychedelic experience, but in a way which runs counter to the
capitalist-consumer infantilisation. this should be obvious i would have thought.

camel---->lion----->child

couldn't agree more. what's to be gained from absorbing anything that music offers?

i aesthetically consider it to be instantly revealed. nothing under the surface.

sadmanbarty

but it's not even psychedelic. that thread should be called perco-rap or whatever. it's infantilization at it's peak. doing trips and diving into that would be like swimming in the mind juice of a clenched fetus.

there are two archetypal psychadelias. the womb and orgasm; cognitive obliteration through tranquility and through over stimulation respectively.

orgasm:

womb:

luka

couldn't agree more. what's to be gained from absorbing anything that music offers?

i aesthetically consider it to be instantly revealed. nothing under the surface.

you'll have to tease this out for me a bit more i think. im wondering what qualifies as surface and subterranean in reference to music. can music hide anything? if so, how?
i think we can hide from it, in the way we can recoil from a caress
but how can it hide from us?

luka

can you thoughtfully, profoundly, lucidly, brilliantly
answer my question concerning the surface and the subterranean in music now pls.
much appreciated.

sadmanbarty

@sadmanbarty do you consider any current rap to fit into either category?

most of the best music inhabits both categories at once (think of a jungle tune where the drums are completely battering you while a lush synthpad soothes you in the background). it's compelling by how these two cognitive approaches interact and juxtapose.

to give a strait forward examples (examples that are doing it in a very stark way). i'd say these two. rhythmically intricate rapping over ambient-leaning instrumentals.