padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this to me is purest aural bliss - don't worry there are no guitars, or at least none that sound like guitars

specifically it's meant to be the bliss of heroin nod - centerpiece of heroin experience concept LPs - v much not my thing

but can transpose it to other states of bliss

but it's not gurgling in any way. that to me implies loss of control or at least inhibition. possibly ego death. like those kinds of slack-jawed moments of tapping into the raw source code reality (that sounds dumb but you know what I mean) on good strong psychedelics.

luka

the intensity of a trip peaking, getting pummeled by pure experience.

yeah this is what i thought you meant. i havent felt like this for ages, since the middle of august
when i went to meet droid in dublin. miss it.

padraig (u.s.)

i havent felt like this for ages
it's a very hard thing to recreate without drugs, and with drugs you have to manage your finite psychic resources

especially if you're trying to get somewhere meaningful, instead of just a lark, it takes so much energy

luka

it's a very hard thing to recreate without drugs, and with drugs you have to manage your finite psychic resources

especially if you're trying to get somewhere meaningful, instead of just a lark, it takes so much energy

yes. this is why i dont drink or smoke any more. you have to pick your moments. it's more a science than an art.

padraig (u.s.)

doesnt sound dumb
you know how it is, it's so difficult to translate into words, like trying to explain acid to someone who's never done it

even images, thinking on the many, many failures to represent tripping in film

a big reason why music is so much more successfully psychedelic - or at least can be - its ambiguous, you need that potential space between the object and interpretation of the object

but trying to synch those two faces of the trip - pummeling and bliss - outside the moment itself is tough

padraig (u.s.)

now I'm trying to think of times I've been fortunate enough to reconcile pummeling and bliss

I can think of each one separately plenty of times of course, but at the same time

and what that music sounds like or would sound like

luka

there was no way out through language

although the way out isn't through language obviously i think that words can point the way and provide at least a rudimentary map. in my ideal world we would get a few interesting words to accompany the interesting music. they're not the main thing but equally there's no reason why they can't synergise with the music instead of working at cross-purposes to it.

padraig (u.s.)

not a pummel-bliss unification moment but possibly relevant

a few years ago a friend + I did v strong tabs and went to see Akira at a midnight arthouse cinema showing, packed full of blazed etc hip 20s-30s somethings

retrospectively a bad idea, but idk it was winter and it was miserable out so we didn't wanna do anything outside

anyway we were peaking thru that crazy Geinoh Yamashirogumi soundtrack, just clattering waves of percussion and chanting, over all the body horror animation, in the kind of state where you're way, way too fucked up to interact anyone who's not on the trip with you, in a dark room full of strangers on their own various drugs, in the dark in an endless wave of sound

I've had considerably more intense psychedelic experiences but just on aural-visual intensity that one does stick out

and thinking on it I guess that movie is about fucked up, damaged children on a trip to the center of reality and in the end everything becomes pure energy

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

words can point the way
well I mean they're tools we have, however adequate or inadequate they might be

the trick of using words to describe psychedelic is being simultaneously descriptive, specific and ambiguous, ephemeral

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think there's this general sense recently both that words are losing meaning - there are so many of them overwhelming through various media, so much said that doesn't result in action or change, so much buzzwordery - and that we don't have words to describe our modern condition (aside from those in the Dissensus dematerialisation thread ofc), nothing that can compare with the capacity of sound to suggest release and other worlds. That sense increases the further from the locus of power one feels.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the thing is hip hop ain't dangerous music anymore. sex sex sex, digestable to the white nouveau bourgeois kids cos it don't need to make em feel uncomfortable about their antiblackness. the same wankers who were listening to arcade fire and the XX in 2009.

it's not about soul. It's something more intense. i could easily shank that bourgeois wanker offset showing his dick on instragram and im blind.

the production techniques and rhythmics are still very interesting tho. But we're just not gonna have another Rakim (hell even another Biggie) cos the culture industry has commodified blackness and decolonisation to make it suitable for harvard and goldsmiths kids, as an individual act. the filthy degenerates at the fader talking about how america needs to work towards abolishing white supremacy, ignoring that such a position would entail the abolition of the american state. the working classes are being written out of music at an astonishingly fast rate. this doesn't mean i don't like (or even love some of) the music sonically, i do, but it's not prefigurative of a new society. which in this day and age is beyond depressing. so i try my hardest to ignore the unpoetic lyrics, the lack of insightment to war, the jennuflecting behind Killary. At least Kanye is showing the industry's true face despite the reactionary shit he comes out with. I sort of rate him for that, in addition to him being a great producer. anyway, i think people should cuss out music they are attracted to.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
We're basically seeing its death, like funk and jazz before it, where the only way to remain current and keep it real is to resort to antiquated production techniques. blergh..