Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid rap aka. dematerialised materialism

there's a range of frequencies in sound but there's also a range of frequencies of affect and drugs are one way (not the only way) to increase our range, of what we are receptive to, of what we respond to, and concomitantly, what we can communicate. this of course maps onto the feminine pressure thread and the this or that thread.

COSMIC SLOP.
    In the Room of Cosmic Plumbing,
    Recalibration is in Progress.
    The Recirculation of Cosmic Slop/pissing in the amitotic fluid.
    ‘Ok, just tuning you in now.’ Mild mannered technician turns dial, frequencies replace one another on a CONTINUUM OF INTENSITY.
    Delectable fluid warmth, flow into and out of, release.
    TERMINAL SEWER,
    In WORDS of Burroughs, William.
    Wallow in terminal sewer,
    rather pleasant, in actual fact.
    Last edited by luka; 18-10-2018 at 02:10 PM.

this is from the 'real hip-hop 2015' thread

It's timing. It's the suppleness of the line. It's the hanging back and then sprinting to catch up. It's the variations in tone, pitch and volume, it's the (precise to the point of prissiness)
    placing of syllables, the open unfixed cadence, the micro hooks littered across every song- lines so rhymically satisfying that they act as stand alone hooks (eg this that, rich shit, I eat fish and grits in dream from barter 6 or, from the blanguage, I'm chilling at the studio these bitchs wanna fuck on the banana boat)

It's the swooning abandoned-to-bliss tone he can reach, gurgling bliss which is unique in rap as far as I know (pelican flys oh gawd oh gawd oh gawd is an example for you

Young Thug is awful on drugs, amazing made on them but there's a difference between taking drugs to make music and taking drugs to make music to take drugs to.

Young Thug sounds amazing. Not on drugs.

Giggs sounds AMAZING on drugs

Go widescreen.

widescreen is a great word to use there. im going to take my anti-dematerialisation walk in the park now appropriately enough.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    widescreen is a great word to use there. im going to take my anti-dematerialisation walk in the park now appropriately enough.
    Have fun. Giggs is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    in drill. the vocals are fairly ambient; mumbled, little intonation, the flows flow so you don't get that sense of pronouncement as with the current crop of fragmented us rappers.
    giggs of course being the pioneer of this

Who cares, trip with Giggs man, it mazin, derk

Skepta and Rocky are apparently big into psychedelics, Rocky in particular - https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a...cky-interview/

- - -

Itís fair to say that Rocky loves LSD. His psychedelic awakening is another way that he defies rapper convention. Acid wasnít a thing growing up. So Rocky was always curious and a little wary. But as he came into the business, he was looking for inspiration, to change his sound, to have a fresh idea. And heíd heard that psychedelics might help.

He tried mushrooms at first, and that didnít go well. He tells me a story about some brawl in a nightclub while under the influence, in which his then-girlfriend Iggy Azalea failed to beat up a girl whoíd slapped him in the face. "In the end, A$AP Fergís girlfriend beat her up for me!"

Acid was altogether more profound. "Growing up, I felt like white people were threatened by my kind, and sometimes black people didnít understand me, either. So I seen both sides. But when I took LSD, both of those worlds went like this." He interlaces his fingers and points to his heart. "Itís right here, bruh. I wasnít mad at people for prejudging me anymore, black or white. Itís just us. As a minority, it helped me feel more like a human being."

He recorded one of the singles from Testing while under the influence ó 'Praise the Lord (Da Shine)' featuring Skepta. He was in London, one of his favourite cities.

"Itís home, man," he tells me. "The people get me, the music, the artists. I just feel this overwhelming joy and acceptance." He was at his usual London abode, the penthouse of a Mayfair hotel, the kind of place that stores his stuff when heís away and then replaces it exactly where he left it. And Skepta brought a neuroscientist with him, from University College London, who had prepared doses of AL-LAD, an analogue of LSD that only lasts for four hours. They took their drugs in the form of gummy sweets, and tripped and rapped and recorded maybe the best single on the album, all while their scientist friend observed and took notes. Itís another of those Rocky stories, like the Beverly Hills orgies, that just makes the world a slightly more curious place.

"Dude we were blasted! Like tripping balls. I remember we had this strobe light that Dexter [Navy, his Awgie director] brought ó he was there, he can tell you ó and I had these jelly beans in my hand, but I was so high, they were like Jack and the Beanstalk, glowy and magical. So I was like 'Skep! Skep!' And he comes running like itís an emergency. And I open up my hand and go, 'Skeppy, theyíre changing colour!'" He cracks up laughing.

"And Skepís like, 'Rock, man, youíre mad, bruv, youíre mad!'" Rocky finds this story absolutely hilarious.

He recently announced, with typical swagger, that his ability to function under the influence of LSD was a sign of genius, because Steve Jobs and Einstein had done the same thing. But then Twitter told him that the Einstein part wasnít true ó or there was no proof anyway. So now heís gone off the idea.

"But the Steve Jobs part is true!" I tell him.

"Yeah, but itís not as good if Einstein isnít in there, you know what I mean?" He laughs. "If Nikola Tesla didnít do it, then fuck it!"

this is what enthralls and thrills me about all this nu-psychedelic trap'n'B

the words are saying the opposite of the music - or rather the music (and the vocalisation style) is undercutting and gainsaying what the lyrics are saying

the lyrics are like character armour, a residual element, a hollowed-out signifier of rap-as-was

but the truth of the music is this fey woozy gaseous quality of the vocals - the listless wistfulness

the vocals have more to do with PM Dawn or the ghostly unbody in A.R. Kane

the discontinuity between the two elements - lyrics and vocal grain / affect / mode - can get pretty jarring

for instance in this gorgeous midtempo tune by Migos, this serene elegaic mood of instant nostalgia is set up and then it ends with the mood-dissonant line "she got my kids on her face"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

this is another example, but here it's the sample at the start that undercuts the serenity and carelessness

unless i'm very mistaken that's the little girl from Poltergeist trapped in the TV saying "please help me"

although actually the fey melancholia creeps into the lyric too - "for some reason I can't cry"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

my #2 favorite thing in music these last couple of years - the Migos ad ilbs

my #1 favorite thing in music these last couple of years - the wordless rolling vocal drones in Migos (Luka's "gurgling bliss" in excelsis)

there are moments in "T-Shirt", "Auto Pilot", "Top Down on Da NAWF", "Bosses Don't Speak" - shivers and shudders and dilated moans - that seem to be cut from the same cloth as this:

a song i once described as being like the 'space' of orgasm expanded into an environment, into a maze you can walk through

that's what the Migos backing gurgles and the entirety of Young Thug's vocal sound like - coming, endlessly stretched out

so while the lyrics are the usual alpha male, warrior male, gangsta, hardest working etc stuff - the vocals are saying "I surrender"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

the truth of the music is this fey woozy gaseous quality of the vocals - the listless wistfulness
    yes, for me the lyrics are not helpful. same with drill. but this is how this stuff always works.
    lyrics are the ego and the ego is always the very last person to know what's going on.

we were talking a bit about this earlier today on the stream of consciousness thread
    http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=14372&page=2