Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid rap aka. dematerialised materialism

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    we were talking a bit about this earlier today on the stream of consciousness thread
    http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=14372&page=2
    yeah i think i may have meant to reply in that thread, but the comments work just as well here, so no matter!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    yeah i think i may have meant to reply in that thread, but the comments work just as well here, so no matter!
    it's all one big thread these days. i encourage the confusion. i just assumed it was a coincidence you were homing in one the same thing.

yes, for me the lyrics are not helpful.
    i love the lyrics (they are like some terminal hyper-decadent state of gangsta-thug-playa-izm - beyond even rap in its hair metal phase of the 2000s - just fragments of triumph, flaunting, disdain, glory, etc - no continuity from line to line) and i really love the disjuncture effect between the lyrics and the "message" of the music itself

but it is like some kind of residual element, like 'this is trap so this is what we must rap about"

there is a mini-meme in trap - "supposed to be" - there was a song with that title, forget which, and then in "Bosses Don't Speak", Quavo goes "this is how it supposed to be" - i.e. this is how we roll when we are rich super-successful rappers, but also a sense of this was ordained, God's Plan unfolding etc, how i could not be this famous / wealthy

but "supposed to be" also gives a hint of "going through the motions", this are the rituals, the prescribed topics, the cliches we must maintain, the stereotypes we must uphold and in fact exaggerate even further

but then there's little moments that suggest transcendence and floating up and away from it all - "feel like i can fly" in "Motorsport"

like you go through hyper-materialist to the point of absolute absurdism and then out the other side

perhaps the sad-rap, hollowed-out hedonism phase ("i should be enjoying all this money and trophies and girls and drugs, but i'm not really") was the disenchantment before a kind of serene indifference to all these things

that you can hear in the mode of delivery and the textures even as the lyrics keep banging on about lamborghinis and blow jobs and expensive watches and so forth

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

before i forget i know barty felt wounded that corpse never gave a nod to this here

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=14165

luka
    luka is online now Beast of Burden

barty dont get despondent enthusiasm is infectious. sometimes all it takes to 'get' music is another persons enthusiasm for it. as a listener you need to keep changing the angle of approach with music. different perspectives till you find the one which reveals the centre. tuning the dial till you get a good reception.
    Last edited by luka; 18-10-2018 at 08:41 PM.

very important thread that tbf.

crowl and barti both on top form. having an argument in which both of them
    are actually right. also one of the few times where i've been very happy to be
    totally wrong about everything.
    Last edited by luka; 18-10-2018 at 09:11 PM.

yes, for me the lyrics are not helpful. same with drill. but this is how this stuff always works.
    lyrics are the ego and the ego is always the very last person to know what's going on.

but that very egoising was what was liberating for some of us in older forms of hip hop. like take no shit, i don't have to conform to white persons infantilisations. people might think im a clown but that's only on the surface. I'm a person of dexterity and a man of science.

Otherwise i agree with nearly everything else u n blissblogger have said, i just don't see any revolutionary potential in todays rap. yeah you're going to bitch about marxism again but it's an inevitable cycle isn't it really given the current configurations.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

the trick is to ruthlessly cuss out music you even like or greatly admire. This is where adorno went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    but that very egoising was what was liberating for some of us in older forms of hip hop. like take no shit, i don't have to conform to white persons infantilisations. people might think im a clown but that's only on the surface. I'm a person of dexterity and a man of science.

Otherwise i agree with nearly everything else u n blissblogger have said, i just don't see any revolutionary potential in todays rap. yeah you're going to bitch about marxism again but it's an inevitable cycle isn't it really given the current configurations.
    im white but it was liberating for me too. the lion phase in camel-lion-child.
    it was enormously important for me.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

im white
    you fooled me

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

How the fuck can I be white
    I don't even exist

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    i just don't see any revolutionary potential in todays rap.
    Judging it off Migos and Future, people who've been established stars for almost a decade now, is a great way to determine who's trying to speak to a greater change in rap. I agree. Ice Cube in 1995 was totally not defanged and toothless. Tupac hadn't become a poster for college domiciles alongside Bob Marley and Scarface (the ultimate things that are likewise cartoonishly reduced and used to bookend his persona) or a totem for people he literally hated to use for poignance.

There's also the thing of, I mean, it's not quite meant for anyone here folks and we're getting a bit full of nothing.

"Physical Graffiti is a good indicator of the culture"

yeah, this is an promising line of investigation. migos and future are old and you're right that none of us have any idea what the new thing is.

so what that allows you to do is, not just sneer at us for not knowing (although that is an opportunity not to be missed, rub it in if you've earned it, i would) but to show us what we've been missing and explain it's import and what is new about it, what directions it opens up and so on and so forth.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

i like how it's sending for barti as well
    it's the atlanta clash round 2