Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: good taste doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    People on here tend to be somewhat intellectual and ruminative, and so we're all very adept at arguing for the validity of our in truth probably rather arbitrary sensibilities.
    over intellectualising music is more often than not a bad move. whether it be making it or listening. it can take the joy away from it.

My inner counterargument to this runs that if you only ever read Spot the Dog you'd think it was the best book ever written, until you read (insert your favourite book here). Spot the Dog retains its charm and it's usefulness as a book to let children read, but once you've read something more sophisticated you can't help but see its limitations.
    like your tastebuds becoming more adventurous as you get older. simple flavors can be wonderful to return to but as we start to grow, we prefer things a bit more complex/interesting. and it's funny how in music there's the cliche of a genre's evolution gaining momentum, becoming more and more technical until the point where it gets way too indulgent and alienates the fans, and then there's the return to the primitive.

I always think that the fact I loved that music then doesn't mean that I am a better person with better taste now, and that actually in some ways I've lost something very precious by leaving behind the naivety and intensity of that first love affair with drugs and cheesy synth lines .
    Yeah definitely. Of course it's to do with getting older, things just change and so do you. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    I keep telling people to read this:

Stefan Szczelkun - The Conspiracy of Good Taste
    This is really great, thanks John

This legitimate aesthetic was argued by Kant to be superior to a common aesthetic in which the pleasure to be gained is through an object's sensory pleasures, its usefulness or its meaning as a sign. In the legitimate aesthetic the important quality is one of 'disinterestedness'. The satisfaction is not connected to bodily pleasures, nor to social necessities, but to an "elective distance from the necessities of the natural and social world" which "takes the bourgeois denial of the social world to its limit."

Kant would probably not have liked Dissensus.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    what'd that fucker say about me?!

go on corpse, spill the beans.
    as far as i can remember lol i said u were a big wobble fan in 08 smoking spliffs at the back of the shed listening to caspa and rusko and that you give us the pretence of coming out of ur mums cunt with the most immaculate taste this side of lester bangs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

I was sufficiently "sophisticated" by the time I was a dubstep fan to find wobble boring, especially as I'd been so into what came (slightly) before it. But when I first got into electronic music, it was two pills and a night of jump up drum n bass that did it, and although I can't comfortably return to the world of Clipz and Pendulum (too old, probably, and too enamoured of more complex/"subtle" music) now, I always think that the fact I loved that music then doesn't mean that I am a better person with better taste now, and that actually in some ways I've lost something very precious by leaving behind the naivety and intensity of that first love affair with drugs and cheesy synth lines.
    this is key. but can there be a kind of return to that lion phase but reintegrated into the child. like this is my problem with deconstructed trance or whatever, it's such a formalistic exercise. surely one can return to Clipz but without Clipz as such, that 'bonehead' aesthetic with a kind of maturation?

i know, this sounds like intelligent brostep or intelligent jump up lmao. but seriously it's a conversation worth having. i'm 25 and i fear that by the age of 30 i will have cultivated a taste so refined that i will exactly become that kind of disinterested Kantian. where the thing in itself divested of material bodily pleasure becomes the ultimate barometer. and im scared of that. i can already feel it happening with concrete/avant electronics and if i listened to that stuff for a year non-stop, well, fucking hell man, brutal!

i know what you mean. when i first met barty he was asking me worriedly about this.
    the trajectory of the music lover inevitably ending up with the austere likes of xanakis, morton feldman and derek bailey and perhaps it is partly tiring of having your body prodded and poked the whole time.

and partly the result of overused stimulus-response patterns wearing out and losing their efficacy.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    and partly the result of overused stimulus-response patterns wearing out and losing their efficacy.
    when i say 'hey' you say 'ho'

like if i listen to this now, the problem isn't the cheese melodies as such, it's just how preordained it is. but music can't be totally random. overuse of stimulous is right.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i know what you mean. when i first met barty he was asking me worriedly about this.
    the trajectory of the music lover inevitably ending up with the austere likes of xanakis, morton feldman and derek bailey and perhaps it is partly tiring of having your body prodded and poked the whole time.
    well thats why i put down that ben watson derek bailey bio after reading 20 minutes of the pdf. fucking hell, he says we need to be in tune with our feelings and then goes back to the isolated art form. mate, it was bleak! also fuck Zappa.

Elitist marxism. hate that.

he makes me laugh. reynolds doesnt like him cos he called him simon tekno and one of them went to oxford and the other one went cambridge. ancient elite rivalry.