good taste doesn't exist

luka

taste happens at one level. the level above taste is about openness.
but obviously there are risks involved in opening yourself to an influence.
things get in that way.

luka

in terms of what taste is pattycakes referred to our collective
'fetish' for r&b. that is one possible point of departure.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It might exist, but it becomes limiting to talk through the prism of good taste. Almost anything is fascinating when another person adequately describes why they like it - a frequent breakdown in communication/interest is when that explanation is lacking.

I like both R&B and Jane's Addiction.

luka

cuckoo. cuckoo.
the mind/the circumferenceless soul/are both as porous as the body/and equally prone to infection.
SQUATTERS IN THE TOWER.
thought forms/emotions/beliefs/modes of consciousness/
all circulate through shared space/cross the open borders/of the selves/like germs.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i was just tryna get barty too admit that he was caning the caspa and rusko bangers in school around 08 at the back of the shed. but then i made a fool of myself by trying to defend dj hype drum and bass arena.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
what i was trying to get at is the inherent revisionism as your taste develops. how this is propounded by digitalisation.

i can tell you why the heart on ur sleeve angsty indie post-rock i was listening to when i was 17-18 is total codswallop. but i can't say why i arrived at that opinion through the traditional channels of curation. because those channels didn't really exist for me. i was listening to miles davis and kemet crew at the same time. but that was a question of personal interest.

then what i am trying to say is that the ultimate expression of a commodified system or is it liberating?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

i mean isn't this our darkside? isn't it? in a way it isn't tho cos the best darkside is better than the best wobble. but then again the best 80s and 90s rnb is better than todays rnb. isn't that just the way we conceptualise the history of music? so rather than viewing it as versions, as reflections of collective social labour expressed through developments in the general intellect, we look for seismic innovations. but actually those innovations are generally more overrated and more subtle than we are led to believe.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
in terms of what taste is pattycakes referred to our collective
'fetish' for r&b. that is one possible point of departure.

i'm not sure if I have a fetish. if it is any kind of fetish its a fetish for disjunctures.

but like, the reason i don't want to say i have a fetish for an established genre is cos the productions get standardised at the most general level, everyone seeks out the best producers, the best musicians. it's that very dance floor/bedroom functionality that contains its inherent connoisseurship.

So whats the hardcore of the 2010s in this regard?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
of course it exists, it's just entirely subjective - it's a particular way of expressing preference

what doesn't exist - except as a construct, albeit a powerful one - is the class-mechanism "good taste" that the book john linked is going at

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I saw your original post and thought it was a question worth asking because here as much as anywhere there is a taste hierarchy and unspoken rules re: what you can like. OTOH it was rather unfair to both Barty and Reynolds, both of whom have championed "cheesy" music - in fact, Simon was one of the very few critics who argued that "wobble/Bristol" was the truly Avant/hardcore flowering of dubstep.

I was sufficiently "sophisticated" by the time I was a dubstep fan to find wobble boring, especially as I'd been so into what came (slightly) before it. But when I first got into electronic music, it was two pills and a night of jump up drum n bass that did it, and although I can't comfortably return to the world of Clipz and Pendulum (too old, probably, and too enamoured of more complex/"subtle" music) now, I always think that the fact I loved that music then doesn't mean that I am a better person with better taste now, and that actually in some ways I've lost something very precious by leaving behind the naivety and intensity of that first love affair with drugs and cheesy synth lines.

People on here tend to be somewhat intellectual and ruminative, and so we're all very adept at arguing for the validity of our in truth probably rather arbitrary sensibilities.

My inner counterargument to this runs that if you only ever read Spot the Dog you'd think it was the best book ever written, until you read (insert your favourite book here). Spot the Dog retains its charm and it's usefulness as a book to let children read, but once you've read something more sophisticated you can't help but see its limitations. I pick that book for no particular reason and I don't mean to patronise fans of DJ Hype (current form) as childlike. But although part of me rejects the concept of good taste, another part of me balks at that rejection with the sense that there IS better and worse art and a sense of this has to be cultivated.

NB: music tends to be (at least on a surface level) apolitical, but other artforms can be MORALLY objectionable, and worth denigrating. Perhaps it's worth denigrating music, too, but harder to establish upon what grounds.

sadmanbarty

I saw your original post and thought it was a question worth asking because here as much as anywhere there is a taste hierarchy and unspoken rules re: what you can like. OTOH it was rather unfair to both Barty and Reynolds, both of whom have championed "cheesy" music

what'd that fucker say about me?!

go on corpse, spill the beans.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
People on here tend to be somewhat intellectual and ruminative, and so we're all very adept at arguing for the validity of our in truth probably rather arbitrary sensibilities.

over intellectualising music is more often than not a bad move. whether it be making it or listening. it can take the joy away from it.

My inner counterargument to this runs that if you only ever read Spot the Dog you'd think it was the best book ever written, until you read (insert your favourite book here). Spot the Dog retains its charm and it's usefulness as a book to let children read, but once you've read something more sophisticated you can't help but see its limitations.

like your tastebuds becoming more adventurous as you get older. simple flavors can be wonderful to return to but as we start to grow, we prefer things a bit more complex/interesting. and it's funny how in music there's the cliche of a genre's evolution gaining momentum, becoming more and more technical until the point where it gets way too indulgent and alienates the fans, and then there's the return to the primitive.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I always think that the fact I loved that music then doesn't mean that I am a better person with better taste now, and that actually in some ways I've lost something very precious by leaving behind the naivety and intensity of that first love affair with drugs and cheesy synth lines .
Yeah definitely. Of course it's to do with getting older, things just change and so do you. Unfortunately.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I keep telling people to read this:

Stefan Szczelkun - The Conspiracy of Good Taste

This is really great, thanks John

This legitimate aesthetic was argued by Kant to be superior to a common aesthetic in which the pleasure to be gained is through an object's sensory pleasures, its usefulness or its meaning as a sign. In the legitimate aesthetic the important quality is one of 'disinterestedness'. The satisfaction is not connected to bodily pleasures, nor to social necessities, but to an "elective distance from the necessities of the natural and social world" which "takes the bourgeois denial of the social world to its limit."

Kant would probably not have liked Dissensus.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
what'd that fucker say about me?!

go on corpse, spill the beans.

as far as i can remember lol i said u were a big wobble fan in 08 smoking spliffs at the back of the shed listening to caspa and rusko and that you give us the pretence of coming out of ur mums cunt with the most immaculate taste this side of lester bangs.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I was sufficiently "sophisticated" by the time I was a dubstep fan to find wobble boring, especially as I'd been so into what came (slightly) before it. But when I first got into electronic music, it was two pills and a night of jump up drum n bass that did it, and although I can't comfortably return to the world of Clipz and Pendulum (too old, probably, and too enamoured of more complex/"subtle" music) now, I always think that the fact I loved that music then doesn't mean that I am a better person with better taste now, and that actually in some ways I've lost something very precious by leaving behind the naivety and intensity of that first love affair with drugs and cheesy synth lines.

this is key. but can there be a kind of return to that lion phase but reintegrated into the child. like this is my problem with deconstructed trance or whatever, it's such a formalistic exercise. surely one can return to Clipz but without Clipz as such, that 'bonehead' aesthetic with a kind of maturation?

i know, this sounds like intelligent brostep or intelligent jump up lmao. but seriously it's a conversation worth having. i'm 25 and i fear that by the age of 30 i will have cultivated a taste so refined that i will exactly become that kind of disinterested Kantian. where the thing in itself divested of material bodily pleasure becomes the ultimate barometer. and im scared of that. i can already feel it happening with concrete/avant electronics and if i listened to that stuff for a year non-stop, well, fucking hell man, brutal!