thirdform

pass the sick bucket
im eagerly awaiting for 100terabits per second to go out of its experimental trial phase and become suitable for homes.

then we can do free improv electronic music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
in theory if we were all musicians with all the gear we could have this conversation with music,
by exchanging and remixing and remodelling tunes and it could happen very very quickly with a very high degree of engagement and intensity.

i think i have undiagnosed dyspraxia tbh. maybe why i can't do jazz comping. i mean how hard would it to learn really. you just need to learn harmonies and then you're off. not like classical where u have to replicate a score.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
maybe barty can unveil the secret to drumming one rhythm with your left hand, another with your right, and another with your foot. how do you feel relaxed. i get very tense, like i have to focus really hard. and that means i bollox it all up.

luka

the potential is there for a small group of auteurs to build very rapidly.
you could go through an entire genre cycle in a few weeks with no need
to book studio time or press and distribute records.

so this could either be done publicly so the audience is privy to the manufacture of the music, or the audience would be involved in the manufacture of the music, if only by reacting in real time.
so that reaction informs the decision making process, in, for instance, the selection of a particular tom tom sound.

sadmanbarty

maybe barty can unveil the secret to drumming one rhythm with your left hand, another with your right, and another with your foot. how do you feel relaxed. i get very tense, like i have to focus really hard. and that means i bollox it all up.

hmmm...

drum from the wrists rather than the forearm; the movement of the stick should come from moving your wrists rather than moving your forearms up and down.

i guess other than that it's about building up muscle memory so that it's comfortable. i don't think i'm ever tense when i drum.

sadmanbarty

so that reaction informs the decision making process, in, for instance, the selection of a particular tom tom sound.

this is my job, it makes the music shitter. i pick better tom sounds than the art director of schwartzkopf, unfortunately they don't know that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i think muscle memory is one of my problems. I'm a skinny git. but i also hate gyms. like actually loathe them. me old man keeps telling me to go. i might give in just coss i cba.

sadmanbarty

i meant in terms of the more you drum, the more your body gets used to it so it's comfortable.

might as well get hench though. biceps shaped like das kapital.

luka

muscle memory isnt about strength. its about knowing how materials behave under a range of different forces. about weights, pressures, give, tension. just internalising that understanding. i have a muscle memory for words. when i worked in coffee shop i had it for pouring milk!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i used to like pubs but young people don't like pubs these days so i can't bring weights to the pubs coss that's just fucking awkwad it was awkward enough in 2016 drinking 4 double vodka cokes in the space of 15 minutes and then getting some ale and i was already 20£ poorer. but i like drinking alone so its weird.

luka

it's extension of the body stuff. snooker players have it for cue and ball, darts players for darts etc etc

luka

this is my job, it makes the music shitter. i pick better tom sounds than the art director of schwartzkopf, unfortunately they don't know that.

i was picturing a distributed crowd of latterday rob playfords, goldies and 4 heros rather than directors of advertising. possibly idealistic of me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well if my arms didn't hurt and i could have a lightness of exerting myself i would become the next max roach but alas.

luka

this is one of my favourite essays it is (largely) about muscle memory.
do easy. by william burroughs.

luka

i dont see why it couldnt happen and if it did you would get a massively accelerated trajectory

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
nearly all the really good disco was commercially successful and in the charts
well, no

depends what you mean by "in the charts". that's taking the absolute strictest view of true obscurities (some of which have since been made famous by modern DJs).

if extended to anything not certified/top 20 hit, there are dozens and dozens of tunes every bit the equal of Chic. that's not a slight on Chic. I'm a massive fan of Chic - as well as Salsoul, the Philly sound, Bohannon, whatever famous high in the charts disco one cares to name. especially for disco I'd agree charts have some worth as discerner of quality, if certainly not to the infallibility of free markets level you're suggesting. there are so many massive club tracks that weren't really chart hits - especially as you get into the 80s with the Garage etc. I trust Levan, Mancuso, Gibbons, et al more than the charts, acknowledging there's plenty of overlap. at that point it also starts depending more what is included in "disco", and I'm a very strong advocate for an expansive definition.

but still: the idea that there's nothing as good as "We Are Family" is simply wrong, easily demonstrably so

citing one decent early hi-NRG tune - that's Denis LePage of Lime, MTL being a huge hi-NRG hotbed - isn't a strong argument

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
for the record my favorite disco track of all-time is Danny Krivit's famous edit of Love Is the Message, mainstream as it gets