Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Dead Redemption II

I rarely have the patience to finish anything with a substantial story these days, prefer more immediate stuff where I can just jump in and mess around or play matches/rounds like footy games and Tekken. The exception being Metal Gear Solid, I'll happily play through hours and hours of story/cutscenes with those.

There's a lot of cool things about this game, including the sense of integration of the dialogue into the gameplay. You don't have to press a button always, often the conversation just starts when you're close enough.

Definitely some flaws with it too and tbh so far I haven't felt the same wonder towards the landscape that I did for Skyrim BUT I've been playing it three hours or so only.

Worst thing about it ATM is I'm shit at it. Not executing the slick murder spread I had envisaged.

Since my last post I've got really into this. I think there are things wrong with it (it's too easy, at least so far) but I'm constantly wowed by it all, particularly the landscape (with its weather) and riding your horse. I think riding the horse is the most enjoyable and brilliantly designed part of the gameplay, another miraculous illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Interestingly, I've read quite a few negative reactions to the game online from the playertariet. There's a complaint that the game is TOO realistic, that you have to watch animation sequences again and again every time you e.g. skin an animal. I have a feeling I would like this sort of thing because I am the sort of person who plays games quite slowly so I can take in all the detail.
    In retrospect some of these criticisms are ridiculous, although I will say there is a lot of riding to and from places having conversations, during which your participation in proceedings is minimal.

The other night I herded sheep through a valley and it was such a pleasurable experience.

Its a fascinating by product of this game - it makes you feel a sense of interest in and connection with the very sort of worldly life that a playstation 4 and things like it have taken us away from.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    . One in Germany seems to have pretty much locked himself away from life with RDR2 and a large back of heroin - he seems happy though.
    I bet he is.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Haven't played Spiderman but this video demonstrates how travelling around in these open worlds can and should be the most enjoyable aspect of these games. Same goes with Red Dead Redemption and the horse. Same went (in my experience) with GTAV - driving around the city listening to radio stations.

Hunting can be quite fun on this (and I'm not hunting bears and shit yet), and even fishing is fun.

Definitely one of the best games I've ever played.