Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolsonaro

Default Bolsonaro

So he won...

I knew he would but I still can't believe it. If only a fraction of what's been written about him is true it's enough to suggest that he shouldn't be anywhere near the position.

What I've been wondering is what happened to enable it? I know nothing about Brazil so I'd welcome pointers....

The proximate causes are what? Corruption of previous administration? Electoral influence via social media? What?

I haven't read as much as I should have, but yep, the attachment of the corruption label to the previous administration seems to be cited by many people. Security mentioned as key concern too. Many people seem to be ignoring some of the horrendous things Bolsonaro has said (eg he has great support among women), in the belief that the need for 'stability' demands this. Guess that's a common story in some recent elections.

As for the uniquely Brazilian side of it, I read a great book about forgetting in Brazilian politics recently at a friend's house: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...etting&f=false

Thesis was that after the massive protests in 2013, everything seemed up for grabs, but even by the next year it seemed uncannily as though these protests had never happened; this was linked to the Brazilian Amnesty Law, whereby in Brazil, unlike in the Southern Cone countries, there haven't been prosecutions for the murders and disappearances that occurred during the military regime. And since Bolsonaro is someone who has trumpeted the advantages of dictatorship over democracy...
    Last edited by baboon2004; 29-10-2018 at 01:59 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

As I understand it it's a combination of crime, corruption and general mismanagement and problems after fifteen years of PT. The favelas are supposed to be out of control and large parts of them are controlled by people similar to the cartels in Mexico.

I bumped into a couple of Brazilians the other week and asked what they thought of Bolsonaro. Their position was that they were sick of PT's corruption and that Bolsonaro was crazy but preferable and that the country was in such a mess that someone that extreme was required in order to see any sort of change or improvement. They also said that they wished Brazil had been colonised by the Chinese or Japanese rather than the Portugese and that a civil war might be necessary.

There's been the now expected presence of 'fake news' too, loads of stuff on social media in favour of Bolsonaro. Apparently the traditional media tend to soft pedal their coverage then go hard in the debates but he didn't bother turning up for most of them so was never really grilled.

There was also the stabbing incident which will have solidified his support.

yes, Brazil's history of right-wing dictatorship

the larger context of left and right and mass violence - death squads/disappearances up to full-out civil war - in Latin American politics

to say "security" in Brazil (or Mexico, or etc) is a different thing than to say it in an U.S. or UK election

he overwhelmingly won the more affluent and dog whistled security to win enough of the rest, with the long shadow of death squad history looming

look at his not just excuse but outright glorification-fetishization of Tropa de Elite style police death squad fuckery

which is to say he 100% exists in the wake of Trump and European populist-nativism but is also at the same in a different tradition outside/long predating it

I also get the impression/have read that he's something of a sockpuppet for larger interests

as all politicians are to be sure but specifically that's he's a useful idiot/Joe McCarthy type weapon as a calculated apart of the attack on Lula etc (who tbf were already properly fucking up on their own w/o any help)

also the PT didn't have anybody good to run against him, besides Lula who was neutralized

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

and fake news etc yeah

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    I also get the impression/have read that he's something of a sockpuppet for larger interests
    I'm leaning towards the logging and mining industry given his stance on opening up the Amazon. CBC were tweeting about the opportunities for Canadian businesses the moment he was elected - https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status...92366470471682

I've crossed paths with it percolating thru the culture in odd places for awhile

he for example has the support of a ton of black/brown MMA (kinda Brazil's 2nd sport after soccer) fighters

he doesn't fetishize them like Putin or Kadyrov but there's the same proto-fascistic vibe - strength, virility, purity, palingenetic rebirth

which isn't a given cos look at black professional athletes here who are almost universally and often vehemently anti-Trump

but again perhaps the differences when one talks about security and affluence

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    I've crossed paths with it percolating thru the culture in odd places for awhile

he for example has the support of a ton of black/brown MMA (kinda Brazil's 2nd sport after soccer) fighters

he doesn't fetishize them like Putin or Kadyrov but there's the same proto-fascistic vibe - strength, virility, purity, palingenetic rebirth

which isn't a given cos look at black professional athletes here who are almost universally and often vehemently anti-Trump

but again perhaps the differences when one talks about security and affluence
    Yeah, Ronaldinho, Felipe Melo, Lucas Moura and a bunch of other high profile footballers have publicly supported him.

Greenwald's been on Twitter trying to make a clear distinction between Trump and the alt-right stuff and Bolsonaro:

"He really comes not from this modern alt-right movement of the type of Donald Trump or Nigel Farage or Marine Le Pen, but the Cold War far-right that carried out enormous atrocity in the name of fighting domestic communism."

Bannon's already latched onto him and tried to worm his way in though - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1N01S1

Former Trump White House adviser and conservative firebrand Steve Bannon said on Friday he was endorsing Brazil’s far-right presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro, hoping he could win Sunday’s vote and contribute to a global populist tide. “Captain Bolsonaro is a Brazilian patriot, and I believe a great leader for his country at this historic moment,” Bannon said in a text to Reuters about the former military officer.

Bolsonaro’s team has courted Bannon’s support and his son Eduardo tweeted in August about visit with him in New York. “We had a great conversation and we share the same worldview,” wrote Eduardo Bolsonaro, the top-voted congressman in Brazil, above a smiling photo by his side. He said they planned “to join forces, especially against cultural Marxism.”

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    He really comes not from this modern alt-right movement of the type of Donald Trump or Nigel Farage or Marine Le Pen, but the Cold War far-right
    I assume Greenwald's full take is more nuanced, but my read is he comes from both

or, he originates in the latter but has taken advantage of the former - like Le Pen (and Farage? idk) in fact - albeit far more successfully

and I am 100% unsurprised about foreign resource extraction and other corporate interests

oldest game in the book in Global South elections in places rich in resources and other investment opportunities

Yeah, Ronaldinho, Felipe Melo, Lucas Moura and a bunch of other high profile footballers have publicly supported him.
    somewhere Doctor Socrates is spinning in his grave

re: Greenwald - Apparently he was on Democracy Now! for an hour or so discussing it, that quote's just something they picked out and tweeted.

Greenwald's been on Twitter trying to make a clear distinction
    beat me to the punch there

ya I'm sure there's a distinction and that it's important to understand (+ that Greenwald knows of what he speaks - doesn't he live in Brazil too?)

but at a point the origin doesn't matter as much as the output which is clearly tied into the global alt-right by nw