Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Reunite Psychedelia and The Avant-Garde.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    first things first, best map the psychedelic experience. dmt's the most concentrated and the most useful in this context.
    oi luke, don't pull a crowley on us.

do this, then we can start inventing future art forms.

cant you do it, it's getting late. you're a night owl. your mind's at it's sharpest now.

no.

enjoying this thread immensely, i've just read it all the way through. i haven't got much to add except that i thought there might be a 4th summer of love this year in manchester, and i think the reason we didn't get one was because we didn't have the requisite 40 days of no rain.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    oi luke, don't pull a crowley on us.

do this, then we can start inventing future art forms.
    psychedelia is hermeticism is a sequence of coherent visionary experiences unfolding into a consistent articulated system.
    the experiences are relayed in a super-language of synesthesia that allows a huge amount to be communicated
    in a very short space of time. that means it isn't all taken in at the point of transmission,
    it unpacks itself over a longer time period. there are disincarnate intelligences that intersect and interact with
    the individual. what begins as isolated and unique event unmoored from the rest of the life gradually merges until the two are indistinguishable and there is no disconnect between trip and reality. in other words, you never come down.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

that last bit's crucial, i was going to write yesterday that psychedelia is fundamentally routed in reality; hence why religion is psychedelic and disney or lord of the rings isn't.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

synesthesia as communicative language is brilliant

metaphors aren't psychedelic

metaphors in the debased sense, no, but in a larger sense i would make an argument for them.
    there is a species of metaphor which inverts itself and reveals a literal face before inverting again,
    back and forth, back and forth like those optical illusions which are both vase & two faces.

this dual-reality effect i tend to think of as fundamental to psychedelia as psychedelia is in some sense, holding both images in the mind simultaneously, so that the difference collapses.

distinction between observer and observed collapses.

i think i might need to take a break for a few days. feeling under siege a little bit. need to replenish my strength.... i'll start tomorrow and see if i can make it till monday. tell me to fuck off if i relapse.

I've read a few books recently (eg 'Bomb culture' by Jeff Nuttall, 'The Kodak Mantra Diaries' by Iain Sinclair, 'A hero for high times' by Ian Marchant, 'Jumpin Jack Flash by Keiron Pim) which have made me think about how we're really still dealing with the legacy of the 60s counterculture. A lot of things seemed to reach a certain point and then became arrested, or stopped, because the State became involved, or things got too dark. I can add more detail on this if people want.

And a lot of supposedly 'avant garde' or 'psychedelic' currents now are really just revisiting those moments? Even the words/phrases themselves feel out of date. Like, is 'psychedelic' too loaded a word to be using in this context, if it's something we're looking for, now, in this moment we are in? Surely we need a new word? And 'avant garde', particularly in music, does it still mean that?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

that's what the 'cultural cowardice' thread is all about catalog. be good to hear your thoughts.
    we've got quite a long way in mapping that out already.

if new words are needed new words will emerge. you cant impose them on people. people choose them, en masse. for now psychedelic will have to do

https://psychedelicsociety.org.uk/ev...h-nov-2018-360

i dutifully did the search for "cultural cowardice" and have found the thread, so excuse me while i read a few more pages. i might be gone for some time...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post: