Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Reunite Psychedelia and The Avant-Garde.

I do think one of the many bad things about the internet is it shoves in your face how unpopular certain things are, and on a subconscious level you can't help but assign less value to things that are less popular. Or at least, I can't.

I used to be proud of liking things that nobody else liked, like I was in on a secret. Nowadays if I see that a tune on youtube has less than 1,000 views (and that's being charitable) I almost feel like 'what's the point?'

Not a rational or laudable attitude, just something I observe in myself.

I think the thought re pound came up cos they were talking about how saving western civilization with his poetry - which even at the time must have been a long shot, since barely anybody could understand it. But nowadays?

And does this even matter? I think more as a spur to creativity than anything else, it might. If you don't feel like your artwork is going to have an impact on anyone, it might not remove your desire to create it, but it changes the artwork itself, the scope of ambition, etc.

I'm a better poet than Pound and I know more.

At this point it is about how culture interacts with itself. You have to find a way to mesh with those gears and work with it. Meaning is made at a higher level than the individual.

This is what barty was alluding to in his recent thread on rap lyrics.

i like the idea of collecting a list of cliches about the avant garde.

@corpsey re your points about modernism - it just set something off in my head. i went to the wyndham lewis exhibition last year at IWM North. It was really good, particularly there were some good bits by some of the lesser known vorticists. but the general picture that emerged was that basically lewis and his mates had missed their avant garde. by the time they got their shit together, they had unfortunately backed the wrong horse (lewis was an early champion of hitler, which sullied his rep hugely for ever and ever) and woolf and the bloomsbury circle were already established as the modernist avant.

just writing this now, i'm reminded of the wikipedia entry for 'the master' and i'm sure there's a bit where PT Anderson says he read somewhere that after a war, there's always more 'space' for a new religion, cos people are looking for something new. and there's no doubting that quite a lot of artistic innovation happened in that fuzzy 20s/30s period between the wars.

so there's another cliche for the pile!

I read the wild body this year and it's absolutely brilliant. I really recommend it.

Was thinking of reading the really long novel he did which was a piss take of the Bloomsbury set, apparently it's pretty savage. That's good to hear about 'the wild body', I might check it out. I just got 'neuromancer' out today to read tho, loads of ppl are suddenly banging on about it and it feels like a bigger blind spot.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    Was thinking of reading the really long novel he did which was a piss take of the Bloomsbury set, apparently it's pretty savage. That's good to hear about 'the wild body', I might check it out. I just got 'neuromancer' out today to read tho, loads of ppl are suddenly banging on about it and it feels like a bigger blind spot.
    You can read both in a week. They're short.