teenage-idiot-energy

luka

what Music of Today runs off Teenage-Idiot-Energy? lot of grown up music about today. mature music. where is the teenage-idiot-energy located?

CrowleyHead

Nah man, there's very little to no teen presence behind the boards or driving that scene anymore. It's super professional. That world where there's a 3 year period where your likes of DJ Snake or Kygo do apprenticing for big hitmakers and then eventually forge solo?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Nah man, there's very little to no teen presence behind the boards or driving that scene anymore. It's super professional. That world where there's a 3 year period where your likes of DJ Snake or Kygo do apprenticing for big hitmakers and then eventually forge solo?

i guessed this would eventually happen tbh i have been insulated in my own bubble. english parochialism innit.

muser

I think Balter has taken the mantle from Boomtown with regards to pure young dumb hedonism

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just reading through that hardcore continuum thread that's been bumped got me thinking about how important parents' record collections used to be in germinating new genres - like all the rap producers sampling their parents jazz/funk records and then later the 80s RNB stuff - and how now, teenagers must have completely different sources for discovering music, you definitely don't have to rely on what your parents or even your older, cooler siblings listen to.

other_life

bioconfused
the parent's records and older siblings have been slowly eclipsed by autistic only children/raised as only children obsessing over internet-aggregated ideas of 'canonicity' on one hand and virally propagating meme music between the peer group on the other. teenage idiot energy is now often also teenage neurotic/obsessive energy

droid

Both my kids recently got MP3 players. I put on the stuff they want (mostly pop, novelty and weird stuff theyve heard around) and add an album of my choice once or twice a week. Working OK so far.

other_life

bioconfused
i personally really loved my parents and older siblings music growing up, but it was *almost* all 'alt rock' in some way or another, even tangentially. very impactful on early teenage idiots + the 'canon's i've sought out but outgrown now, not really sampled

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What's kinda sorta maybe interesting maybe is

how, as a provincial teenager pre-internet, i had such limited access to music - the local CD shop had good stuff, but also a lot of crap... like, getting into reggae beyond the best of bob marley it was all these dodgy 3 CD collections of z-sides.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
The problem, if it is a problem, is that teenage idiot energy migrated from music (specifically punk and metal) to violent multiplayer gaming, idiot online trolling, and you could argue mass shootings, spree killings, etc. Energy and power is always mutating, migrating, and changing forms. When teen angst and the self-destructive impulse were relegated to punk thrashing and mosh pits, you had real catharsis. And I think that's important. Young males especially need an outlet for that hate and aggression that's biologically hardwired in all of us, otherwise it simmers and boils over into war, or misguided revolution. It worries me that the only outlets for idiot teenage energy are entirely virtual, and in no way cathartic.

luka

Good points? Have you ever heard of this big theoretical framework called dematerialisation? It explains everything!

firefinga

The problem, if it is a problem, is that teenage idiot energy migrated from music (specifically punk and metal) to violent multiplayer gaming, idiot online trolling, and you could argue mass shootings, spree killings, etc. Energy and power is always mutating, migrating, and changing forms. When teen angst and the self-destructive impulse were relegated to punk thrashing and mosh pits, you had real catharsis. And I think that's important. Young males especially need an outlet for that hate and aggression that's biologically hardwired in all of us, otherwise it simmers and boils over into war, or misguided revolution. It worries me that the only outlets for idiot teenage energy are entirely virtual, and in no way cathartic.

Totally spot on, and I'd like to exceed: a lot of the functions pop music in general had have migrated to smartphones + social media. Whether you like that or not. What I have gathered, teenagers (and early twens) are less interersted in (pop) music than my generation (a teenager in the 1990s) in general. Not lamenting, just stating facts.

Last edited: