The Depths

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Deep" in dance music is often synonymous with jazzy.

Jazzy chords that hover between happy and sad. There's emotional shading to that sort of suspended chord, which perhaps is where "depth" comes from, as a spatial descriptor.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But it's also synonymous with reverb. The more echo there is, the more likely it is to be "deep". Because it gives the illusion of actual spatial depth in the music. A chord with no reverb will sound flat. Perhaps filtration also adds depth, because again it emphasizes sound as something physical.

Re: emotional sophistication, it can also mean not just emotions complicated, but also emotions that are relatively uncomplicated but are assigned a higher place on the "depth" totem. Melancholy is somewhere near the top. Joyfulness is somewhere near the bottom.

luka

The depth totem is a great phrase. Obviously the metaphor is spatial. Why? What's the topography heee?

luka

As I said earlier for me it has to be about going beneath the surface, lifting the veil of maya, peeling back the face and finding what older principles and forces are in operation. The algorithms which generate the world of appearances.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The depth totem is a great phrase. Obviously the metaphor is spatial. Why? What's the topography heee?

The standard assignment of certain emotions and states to "high" and others to "low" - perhaps this is where one notion of "depth" comes from - because being happy is considered somehow frivolous, naive, empty headed?

Emotions that are considered - have been produced by consideration, and produce consideration - nostalgia, wistfulness, cosmic awe... are deep emotions. Anger in response to stubbing your toe, or happy because you got a handjob, are powerful but so to speak shallow emotions.

luka

What do you think the physiological basis of this is? There's a corresponding metaphor of weight here isnt there. The heavy vs the light. Sinking vs floating. Spring in the step vs heavy heart.

luka

The substantial vs the lightweight. Also ties in to the melancholy and the notion of the humours. Thomas Burton and Durer. Saturn.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The substantial vs the lightweight. Also ties in to the melancholy and the notion of the humours. Thomas Burton and Durer. Saturn.

'Deep' music will tend to be slower, too - slowness associated with weight, heft... But perhaps also with contemplativeness.

Leo

when I think of deep dance tracks, I think of things like...

and

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
there's definitely a correlation between the sense of being underwater/underground and a sense of depth. just a guess but, i wonder if it has anything to do with us subconsciously associating it with being in the womb. the most immersive experience we ever lived. being totally covered by flesh and water. pressure from every angle. all the sounds we heard were muted and deep. the drone of the blood rushing around our mother's veins. the muffled beat of her heart. time was slow and we were probably feeling pretty good. maybe not happy. just secure (in a meditative way) in the squishy solidity of it all. keep meaning to look up what chemicals arebeing released when we're in there. wouldn't be surprised if there are some psychs involved.

Last edited:

luka

Im wondering if I experience depth. I'm thinking probably not. What does it feel like? Can you describe it as a state?

blissblogger

if all Wagner was like that or 'Valkyries', then i would love Wagner

unfortunately there's some bird shrieking at the top of her lungs most of the time

Last edited:

blissblogger

the Wagner made me think of two things that feel 'deep' to me, suggestive of unfathomable mystery and immeasurable majesty

luka

Is it fair to say vagueness is an integral part of the deep? Something just on the brink of the perceivable? Suggestive of our own limits. The face of the god you can't look at without being destroyed? Something which resists language by being only imperfectly realised?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the Wagner made me think of two things that feel 'deep' to me, suggestive of unfathomable mystery and immeasurable majesty

Koningforst is the perfect soundtrack to sitting outside in nature and dropping acid. In my experience. Which makes sense, as he made it to commemorate dropping acid in the black forest in Germany as a yoot.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

gave this a proper listen today in an altered state. some virus has installed itself into my body and i'm a bit out of it. somehow this piece managed to work some soothing and i fell asleep half way through. can't tell if this is a victory? picked it up where i left off when i came back around. need to dig into more of these Pran Nath people's work. is it just me or do drones evoke some kind of sense of truth?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Im wondering if I experience depth. I'm thinking probably not. What does it feel like? Can you describe it as a state?

i think what may be happening in your case is that the scales are tipped way toward your intellect vs your body/instincts. i think i remember you saying when you trip it's more about words and you don't get much in the way of visuals, right? it's possible to talk about 'deep', but it's another one of those subjective things where words end up falling short because it's a thing we instinctively feel in our bodies without any rationalisation. we just know it's happening. this is my own subjective viewpoint. deep can mean another thing to you, like joyce is incredibly deep and maybe you get a similar kind of buzz from getting lost in his wordplay. *shrug*

imo it's more in the realms of the mystic & magic than rational/science. certain deep musics take you into a trance like state. i wonder if there's any similarity between that state and the gurgling baby stuff you were talking about in the dematerialization thread?

Is it fair to say vagueness is an integral part of the deep? Something just on the brink of the perceivable? Suggestive of our own limits. The face of the god you can't look at without being destroyed? Something which resists language by being only imperfectly realised?

It's wordless. A state of solemnitude. Pure being in the moment. Distracted from your own ego and it's need to project extra shit onto the screen. Womb-like. Connection to the infinite.

Last edited: