The Depths

luka

Im not convinced by that because this doesnt strike me as body music. I like a lot of this music. But I dont think its body music. Out of body music perhaps.

luka

For my money the drone is the ground of being, the base note of existence. The continuity which endures even when the ego is... otherwise engaged. That other awareness behind the social self. Beyond the individual even.

luka

I think I had a sense of the deep as a teenage stoner. I think '70s roots reggae and rza beats fed it. I think i gave it up in exchange for clarity. It wasn't a choice really. It was forced upon me. Weed stopped cooperating. The relationship broke down.

luka

I dont think reading killed the relationship. I think it was overuse. I went to the well too often.

luka

I don't read nearly enough. I dont have the patience for it. I like conversation the best. Thats always been my thing. Anyway, the deep. Interesting. Freud used archaeological metaphors which also operate on a vertical axis. The past is under our feet.

luka

That stuff is always on the verge of kitsch. You have to be quite severe in where you draw the line or before you know it youre listening to lonnie liston smith or some undistinguished corner of the strata east catalogue. We must exercise vigilance and discernment. What about that heavy romanian gear? Is this deep?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Im not convinced by that because this doesnt strike me as body music. I like a lot of this music. But I dont think its body music. Out of body music perhaps.

Yeah OK, but definitely not intellect rooted.

The heavy Romanian gear is nice but like so much of this stuff, the depth is in the ear of the beholder. I dig the textures a lot. Very physical/visceral.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
'Depth' as mental/emotional sophistication vs. 'Depth' as a sort of spatial description of sound
both are possible - can be separate or together, they are not necessarily opposed or mutually exclusive

I see you qualified "sophistication" below but I would shy away further still

sophistication can produce depth, but depth can also be raw, primal - sometimes it can be both sophisticated and raw, all at once

complexity is better, but ambiguity is probably better yet - to me something which is deep generally cannot be resolved easily, if at all

this may be why the emotions you mentioned - melancholy, awe - lend themselves more to depth - they aren't easily resolved

it's possibly - I'm not totally sure - why I keep referring to change - I associate transcendence with uncertainty, going beyond oneself

the deep as a place beyond certain answers - idiomatically "in at the deep end"

and metaphorically - the murkiness of underwater that increases as one goes deeper, further from the light (clarity)

padraig (u.s.)

droid mentioned "depths to fall into"

literally, sonically, yes

but also dynamics

the Genesis quote I used to describe Wagner above - the very next line is "And God said, let there be light"

without light there are no depths to fall into, no light to fall away from - just formless void

padraig (u.s.)

also perspective and perception of depth

like two people - one atop a mountain, the other in a valley below

obviously their perspectives are completely different - from the mountaintop, the valley is depth

padraig (u.s.)

I do appreciate Corpsey's attempts at qualitatively describing sound, rather than just handwaving "jazzy" or using adjective euphemisms for deep

and it's useful to think about how/why specific techniques of composition or production evoke depth

(suspended chords are a nice shout in re bit above difficulty of resolution)

tho I'm also wary of forest for trees - winding up with "deep" as empty signifiers of whatever genre-sound one is referring to

i.e. by the numbers "deep house", techno mimicking the jazz of Detroit, every type of prog band that ever mistook technical complexity for depth, etc

padraig (u.s.)

sense of being underwater/underground and a sense of depth
see above on the chthonic, murkiness, distance from light, etc

weightiness is also a good look - both metaphysical and literal

again to return to the water metaphor, the increasing pressure as you go down further from the surface