rap rituals/inadvertent invocation

sadmanbarty

we have the notion of liquid at the very heart of rap lexicon: 'flow'

it's expressed in the constant references to, for example, Hennessy and drank*

now it's at it's ubiquitous in rap and drill (though the ostensible meanings in those two contexts are starkly different).

what does water mean: baptism, blood, childbirth, etc.

why are those connotations so crucial to us in the last two years. why is culture yearning for them?

*dirty sprite- sprites are mystical

sadmanbarty

i'm like michelle pfeiffer in some film where she goes to a rough school and teaches them shakespear with tupac lyrics and saves them from gang life.

luka

water and liquid more generally is a huge symbol, contains multitudes, but partly
time, as noted earlier is a fluid medium, causation is fluid (waves, drips, currents, trickles, streams), emotion is pictured as sea (the zodiac water signs are the emotional ones)

funnily enough aquarius (as in, age of) is an air sign.

sadmanbarty

crucial to remember everyone.

what you say doesn't have to be true, only interesting. those two things are often mutually exclusive

luka

as a society we looked at alan kurdi's dead body and decided we didn't value life; drill was born.

as i keep saying recently i think both the authoritarian turn and brexit are motivated (unconsciously) by climate change and the recognition that there will be unfathomably large displacements of people very soon and we have already decided to raise the drawbridge and let them die.

sadmanbarty

"ops" all the time- oppositions are everywhere. remainers and brexiters. dems and trumpists. immigrants. we're more aware of ops than ever.

luka

"ops" all the time- oppositions are everywhere. remainers and brexiters. dems and trumpists. immigrants. we're more aware of ops than ever.

haters preceded the opp. haters are the evil eye long feared across the near and middle east.