the sensation of muck

version

I've been meaning to sell most of my records for a while but that's obviously on hold for now, what with the lockdown etc. I'd rather not get infected going to and from the post office a bunch of times - if it's even open and people are in a position to buy shit from Discogs.

I've got a bunch of dubstep and 2010s stuff that's utterly worthless which I've considered giving to a charity shop, but I'd feel guilty dropping stacks of vinyl on them they'd never shift. Nobody's gonna be like "Oh, wow! A Zomby record!".

Something I find interesting is looking through them and wondering why I bought them. How into them was I? How many times did I actually end up listening to them? Did I think they'd stand the test of time?

Reactions: Leo

DannyL

Wild Horses
What's your conclusion? People are still buying on Discogs btw. Lockdown fever.

Funnily enough, I found a really rare record in a pile of rubbish on my estate last night - Peter Wyngarde's "Rape" LP. It was at the bottom of an old stereo cabinet with a load of other crap records.

version

What's your conclusion?

That if I'd given myself a week or so to consider whether I really wanted or needed them then I probably wouldn't have bought the vast majority. I don't even listen to the music on most of them on YouTube or anything.

version

They're just useless artifacts taking up space. It'd be cool if they came up with some way to recycle vinyl and press new stuff on it.

Leo

I've actually bought a few things on discogs over the past few weeks. things I was interested in at the moment and found at good price, plus figure I might be helping someone out with a few bucks. just to be safe, I let the packages sit unopened for three or four days, imagine that's enough time for any nasty germs to disappear. I hope, anyway!

Leo

I too have so much stuff that I planned to sell or donate this year, actually unloaded about 250 cds in late February right before things went to shit. still have lots more, but wonder if the few remaining used record stores here will a) survive or b) be in any financial position to pay anything for them. I have some rare-ish stuff that might at any other time fetch me $5-20 each but can't imagine that's possible now, or for awhile anyway.

chava

First of all: You lot won't get infected with Covid19 by a package with a bunch of 12s in it. There is no evidence for that at all. This is not anthrax, remember.

OT: There is a surprisingly amount of 90s techno records going for quite a lot recently. Even the terrible functional stuff with the most generic artwort ever (Primate records etc) Sadly I've already sold most of that in the 00s for next to nothing, bad move. Now waiting for a '00 revival, so I can offload my ridiculous amounts of minimal click house records.

My obsession is digging for those records that didn't fit in the functional scheme back then, producers (artists, really) that never made the DJ circuit and are still underrated/undiscovered. Those who did records that was too fast, too slow, too digital, too clean, too cluttered for whatever the trend was at the time.

version

First of all: You lot won't get infected with Covid19 by a package with a bunch of 12s in it. There is no evidence for that at all. This is not anthrax, remember.

That isn't my concern. I'm on about physically going into and out of town multiple times to post them. Also selling them isn't a pressing issue (no pun intended) atm, so I've little reason to risk it.

chava

That isn't my concern. I'm on about physically going into and out of town multiple times to post them. Also selling them isn't a pressing issue (no pun intended) atm, so I've little reason to risk it.

I would never bother mailing records out, virus or not. Too much of a hassle.

The virus fear is over where I am, 99% back to normal. But even when fear was at it highest I was at the post office multiple times. No fear there. People need their stuff obviously.