Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Explain Electro To A Sweet Boy

Here's a rip of that Pulse FM set if anyone wants it - https://dbr.ee/COZP

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

some og electro bods were involved in hardcore and gabba as well. his one on dexorcist's hybrid label. electro gabba acid i guess.

"Thereís always the impossible to shake off feeling that certain rare records correlate to certain rare modes of consciousness. That music is a map of consciousness in its various states. And exploring the edges of music is somehow skin to exploring the edges of consciousness. To stop exploring music is to stop exploring existence. A way of closing the net curtains. Books too, to find the book which forces you to expand the brain box, like a snake dislocating it jaw to swallow a large animal. Anything else is closing the net curtains, or pressing the same pleasure button for the same predictable stimulus. Compulsive behaviour in other words, dull routine, insidious habit.
    Habit change is a magical operation. It gives you more control over your own behaviour. Less compulsion, more choice."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Stinson still feels like such a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    i was just reading up on the Mekons for something work-related and had forgotten that in their very first interview, for NME, they wanted there to be no photographs and i think also no individual names mentioned, no attribution of quotes to specific people - it was all to be presented to the public collectively and facelessly.

but the photographer from NME sneaked a pic anyway and then before you know it they are signed to Virgin and there's actually a publicity photo of them sent out with the album.

But their initial stance was very idealistic and UR-like.

although not with the mystique and remoteness of UR - the opposite in fact, their ideal was to be absolutely approachable by their audience, absolutely demystified in every aspect

they even had some kind of band charter or internal manifesto of principles, which were things like no distance between band and audience, we are not special people in any way etc

there is a line you can trace running through rock/etc history that is all around this thing of facelessness versus face-fullness (embracing stardom, image, glamour, presentation)

it plays out in everything from stage presentation (how bright the lights, wearing stage clothes versus everyday clothes) to record packaging (prog groups and post-psychedelic Underground groups tended to not appear on their covers, but have abstract/surreal images or landscapes or whatever, whereas the more pop / showbiz things get, the more emphasis there is on having a face on the front cover

another aspect to this collectivity - the pop industry doesn't like bands and is always scheming to break up bands and spawn off solo stars, because that's more marketable
    Sorry but Dean blunt. Clothes and stance are generic. Few interviews, as many lies as truths in them. And then pure spirit at the shows. Artist of the 2010s without a shadow of doubt.

You'd have a hard time arguing blunt over keef or thug I reckon. Art school back water vs transforming a major sector of the billion dollar American entertainment industry.

What, so because they are more popular, they are better? Get your coat Luka. He's the innovator.

Only you and version like Dean Blunt. You won't be discriminated against for your views however, no matter how outre. All are welcome in the big church.

I'm trying to bait you. I went all city this morning.

And yeah, I'll defend Dean blunt till the final trumpets are blown. No one knows more about him than me. In the world I'll wager

14. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post: