thirdform

pass the sick bucket
as for novel.

If dance music producers made tracks with a rhythm like this djs would be out of a job. this is pure anatolian rave.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
There's not much explaining going on is there, just loads of tunes from random times and places. If anything it adds to the confusion or lack of knowledge. We know what electro sounds like but surely the question is why? How did it develop? Where and when and why there and then etc? What's good about it? That's what I want from an explanation.

We did that in the other thread tbh. a certain synthetic and roboticness that flirts between being very chilly but also can be quite warm simultaneously. more 80s synth funk melody driven than it's techno counterpart which is the retro kitch luca is eluding to i suppose (you're on the same page as kirk degiorgio from 2001 there mate lol.) In terms of progression there have been attempts to techno-ify it and phil klein aka bass junkie made some electro gabba hybrids. otherwise its generally a scene with its own internal purism. nothing wrong with that I suppose, just as with any other purist scene, things need to be mixed up a bit. What's good about it? At the best of times it can literally sound like music from outer space rather than just a bunch of floating pads. that's at its best. it can also sound like the clonk of machines being humanised. you don't get this in Mayday for E which is more about the dreamlike state. where as with that dexter d-funked stuff there's an actual emotional connection to the clangs inside a factory. Mayday is more like sitting in ur room and looking at industrialisation and dislocation from ur window. which in a way makes his music more powerful than a majority of revivalist electro simply because its trying to marry the internal state with the dance. whereas drexciya aside neo-electro is mostly designed for hard techno djs to drop in their sets. obviouly there are melodic electro producers like plant43 and e.r.p but they are more live acts.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
There's not much explaining going on is there, just loads of tunes from random times and places. If anything it adds to the confusion or lack of knowledge. We know what electro sounds like but surely the question is why? How did it develop? Where and when and why there and then etc? What's good about it? That's what I want from an explanation.

IdleRich

IdleRich
We did that in the other thread tbh. a certain synthetic and roboticness that flirts between being very chilly but also can be quite warm simultaneously. more 80s synth funk melody driven than it's techno counterpart which is the retro kitch luca is eluding to i suppose (you're on the same page as kirk degiorgio from 2001 there mate lol.) In terms of progression there have been attempts to techno-ify it and phil klein aka bass junkie made some electro gabba hybrids. otherwise its generally a scene with its own internal purism. nothing wrong with that I suppose, just as with any other purist scene, things need to be mixed up a bit. What's good about it? At the best of times it can literally sound like music from outer space rather than just a bunch of floating pads. that's at its best. it can also sound like the clonk of machines being humanised. you don't get this in Mayday for E which is more about the dreamlike state. where as with that dexter d-funked stuff there's an actual emotional connection to the clangs inside a factory. Mayday is more like sitting in ur room and looking at industrialisation and dislocation from ur window. which in a way makes his music more powerful than a majority of revivalist electro simply because its trying to marry the internal state with the dance. whereas drexciya aside neo-electro is mostly designed for hard techno djs to drop in their sets. obviouly there are melodic electro producers like plant43 and e.r.p but they are more live acts.
It's caught between deciding if it wants to be more like techno or hip-hop. Or it was. Techno definitely won cos it's gone from like 90 to 140bpm presumably - like you say - so it can mix into techno sets.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Certainly that is the case. although the early electro was more like 110-120, but hip hop was generally faster in the 80s anyway.

in terms of whether hip hop or techno won, well, put yo hood up is essentially electro in my book.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
all that being said the neo-electro scene has been responsible for loads of head twisting tunes.

this one from 2001 is basically like 2010 wobble 9 years earlier. mammoth bassline.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
crucial tune, the missing link between bass music and electro. in fact most clatterbox tunes probably deserve to go in this thread as they eschew the kitch by numbers aesthetic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I really do part ways with Kirk and Luca on this though the best of it is some of my favourite music. of course finding the best of it is not always easy.

luka

Love how I'm always cavalierly lumped in with any old dissensus bete noire from kirk degiorgio to carl jung! Anyone will do so long as they're a cunt!

luka

I suppose I thought this thread might be useful in the following ways
To inspire 3rd to write the kind of delerious Stalinist dada that only he is capable of (much better than Stuart Home or datacide or any of those other bottom feeders from the crusty end of the '90s)

To identify specific qualities found exclusively or particularly in techno (anti-humanist, NOT the naked romanticism of early Detroit) that Barty can't make yet, that are blind spots for him

And in that way erase or reduce the distance between the two, so that they understand each other better, a larger overlap between their respective perceptual and cognitive spheres.

I'm a utopian.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Love how I'm always cavalierly lumped in with any old dissensus bete noire from kirk degiorgio to carl jung! Anyone will do so long as they're a cunt!

oh, I didn't and don't think Kirk's a cunt and thought Simon and Matt were going too hard on him, until i got a pdf of his invisible jukebox. fucking hell, not doing himself any favours there was he!

Although irony of ironies i used to go to his machine nights and it would be wall to wall industrial techno from the likes of surgeon so idk I guess he's changed his mind since then or he was just being contrarian for the sake of it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I suppose I thought this thread might be useful in the following ways
To inspire 3rd to write the kind of delerious Stalinist dada that only he is capable of (much better than Stuart Home or datacide or any of those other bottom feeders from the crusty end of the '90s)

To identify specific qualities found exclusively or particularly in techno (anti-humanist, NOT the naked romanticism of early Detroit) that Barty can't make yet, that are blind spots for him

And in that way erase or reduce the distance between the two, so that they understand each other better, a larger overlap between their respective perceptual and cognitive spheres.

I'm a utopian.

Barty is too busy with his harem now though. the thing is i need more inspiration for the stalinist dada. barty isn't giving me any feedback. what doesn't he like/what does he like? what properties does he like? he's just being coy, a tease.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the thing is barty needs to murder the crypto-fascist in him. read kodwo again, escape the soil sadam.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
he likes bladerunner the film and not bladerunner the book. that's the aspect where we part ways. even in terms of nuum he's not that so much into the techier textures. like if he likes the more organic vibes in hardcore-jungle then how do we induct him into the cult of the glearing appendages of the machine?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean the whole point of electronics in my eyes is either the machine romanticism a la detroit or 80s/some 90s rnb or the anti-humanist agenda. Otherwise you've got an inexhaustible amount of 60s-70s free jazz, rare groove, soul, ska and afrofunk/middle eastern funk to dig through. never ending. The best jungle, even if it uses acoustic sounds is that which can only be produced with electronic equipment/is electronically treated. something like mixrace the programmer is key here. essentially a drum workout that can't be drummed by hand because of the chops, and effects.

Where as bukem circa 97, i might as well go back to the sources his acolytes he's sampling from. it was even a step back from early 90s US garage, which for all its organic textures was big on vocal science and dub techniques.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean I suppose this is the last tunes I am interested in from the jazz/organic jungle era. I'm not saying it's a bad tune. not at all, in fact it's good because it basically took the style to its logical endpoint. nowhere left to go from there, not even to regurgitate it.

bukem's 96 essential and then that's it really.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that's why i think the v early techstep before it became utterly pavlovian was actually extending that dub lineage more than the 97 soho bar stuff (ironically for all its whiteness.) that's the techno aspect of the nuum, in a similar way to what the german guys were doing with straight techno.

in terms of garage what luca says is right
there was not that moronic aspect that was omnipresent in 99 jump up. but that's only because london got its grubby hands on it. otherwise golden age of american garage is 91-96 really, 97 at a push. once that church gospel aspect to it dies there isn't really the ecstasy anymore and its just well, deep house. in the UK conversely the church is pills and gak. But gak is very kharijite. no toleration for god's children. I'm pure u lot are not. fuck the community. we will do everything we can to destroy it.

Last edited: