Write a poem with me

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
attract rack and ruin and
incite senseless sentiments

how was your weekend away with the kids?

sorry this is more a reminder note for me later

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Couldn't tell the difference between that and contemporary poetry though TBH

INSERT JEREMY CLARKSON GIF HERE

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've been listening to the small talk in my office thinking about how you could turn it into poetry

Or better yet distort it and mangle it and make it extreme and evil

But really Eliot (not to mention Joyce) had this all sewn up by about 1922.

sadmanbarty

i really don't understand poetry. i can't understand the paradigm it's working in. its like people who hear jazz and just scoobup beebup or a racket. what are the parameters? someone post a really good bit of a poem and annotate where the appeal is.

luka

I'd be wary of learning and thinking about metre etc. It tends to deaden the ear.

sadmanbarty

is it like "man done dick that bitch/man smash that whizz" in zone 2's no hook?

would i be looking for the same appeal as that in prynne or yeats?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What has only clicked for me in the last week for some reason is that stress is more tied to natural speech than prosodic rules...

But I think it is useful to have the iambic beat in mind when reading Shakespeare, e.g., cos you get more of a sense of his rhythmic diversions from it...

I do think poetry is more like music than I realised, although that can be a misleading comparison - but as with music, you want to fall in love with it on an instinctual level BEFORE learning about time signatures and intervals and all that.

This sort of thing is obviously not as SIGNIFICANT as the waste land but I think it helps you fall in love with poetry, it's the clever rhythms, rhymes, alliteration etc...