Thread: Extinction Rebellion

Default Extinction Rebellion

These people are heroes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

I like them, but they're also Goldsmiths.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mistersloane For This Useful Post:

Doesnt matter. These kinds of actions are pretty much our only hope at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Doesnt matter. These kinds of actions are pretty much our only hope at this stage.

Did you ever see the last Dennis Potter thing? With Reality or Nothing? I kinda want it to remind me of that but it doesn't yet.

I've seen alot of criticism online about them but I'm not one of those people. I know what you mean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mistersloane For This Useful Post:

Moral clarity.

You and I are witnessing the twenty-first century’s great crime: a global holocaust whose first victims have already perished. And I mean holocaust, from Greek holókaustos, translated as “whole” and “burnt” – the whole enormity of life daily sacrificed to flames. That is not hyperbole. Driving this crime is the collapse of the world’s stable climatic and atmospheric systems. Fossil energy economies are doing this. They transform the world into a deathly, suffocating hothouse sabotaging the climate and atmosphere. That’s what they do.

Carbon energy kills 3.5 to 6 million people per year through air pollution alone. Beyond that, this crime is also killing people via extreme hurricanes, wildfires, floods, droughts, and heat waves, expanding the range of deadly diseases like malaria and Lyme, famines, and conflicts like the Syrian civil war. There is good reason to believe these disasters will destabilize geopolitical relationships and lead to world war. Every one of these types of disasters will continue to intensify—that is inevitable at this point.

What is not inevitable is degree of intensity. Quantity of death can still be curtailed; we can prevent billions of deaths, even forestall human extinction. But the tragic fact is that some immense minimum of murder is certain. The body count will exceed those of any crimes that have come before. Monarchs and dictators designed the twentieth century’s vast death; this new crime is perpetrated by a global oligarchy – a hereditary aristocracy – a network of governments ruled by a super-wealthy elite. The most culpable among this elite are members of the oil, gas, and coal industries. Whereas the events of mass destruction wrought in the last century ceased, this new crime will endure for generations, maybe centuries.
    https://www.resilience.org/stories/2...rcles-of-hell/

I wasn't involved but I work but the Thames so I was in the midst of it. It felt very small partly because it was dispersed across different bridges. It wasn't a trendy crowd or even a London crowd, it felt very small town, rural, provincial. Very young too. Lots of West Country accents.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Its a beginning. 6000 I think, but widespread support.

I have some issues on watching that graun vid

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionfive View Post
    I have some issues on watching that graun vid
    Lefties go bananas over white male opinions 4 U, then applaud some middle class tosser urging people to get themselves incarcerated.

Er, he's also a white male...

I definitely have some issues watching the video, but they're on the right side of history. Even bagpipes won't change that.

Way more crusty than I was expecting, but TBH, it doesnt matter. Theyre 100% in the right and everyone involved is going in with their eyes open.

Widespread non-violent direct action is the only way now, and without it, violent direct action will come.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post

Widespread non-violent direct action is the only way now, and without it, violent direct action will come.
    I don't think fetishising imprisonment and pushing a martyr complex is a particularly good tactic.

Are they even affiliated with ABC or have any legal support in place for supporters who get banged up?

And do you think that working class protesters would get a chortle from the OB after smirking "The arrests can't happen quick enough" instead of a kick up the arse?

Im assuming they do have some legal support, or that they have been briefed on how to deal with the police and the costs involved. But again, individuals seem well aware of the consequences.

Blood sacrifice has been a very effective tactic in the past of course, plus it makes things very difficult for the cops.

At some of the big protests in the past they've routinely given out cards with the number of one of the major legal firms known for defending protestors - Bindmans or somewhere like that. Would be very surprised if that wasn't the case last weekend, given the explicit tactics.