droid

S'funny though, cos the Beatles in their original incarnation where arguably closer to the punk musical aesthetic than many punk bands.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
jazzy jungle that is undeniable

Adam F - Circles
Roni Size + Die - Music Box
Dillinja - Deep Love
Jacob's Optical Stairway - Harsh Realities
Roni Size - Daylight
Dillinja - Sovereign Melody
Roni Size, Reprazent - Heroes
Hidden Agenda - Is It Love?
T- Power - Horny Mutant Jazz
Roni Size - It's A Jazz Thing

Blissblogger Jazz Jungle 10

Music Box is very good... So is Sovereign Melody. There's such a rich sound to these samples - so much grain.

Obviously have heard some of these before but it's good to hear them all together.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Forgot how heavy the drop in ' Daylight' is, only really remembered the Roy Ayers sample

Fantastic list cheers bblogger

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The one 'bum note' so far has been ''Heroes'' by Roni Size, which just sounds so brittle compared to everything else. It's that 2-step beat that ended up completely dominating and restricting Drum N Bass.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Hidden Agenda tune is so similar to the liquid drum n bass that came out later, e.g. Hospital Records, DJ Marky and XRS, etc.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
corpsey. 5 beatles tracks to put to bed the UK punk consensus of them being middle class wank (a consensus i subscribe to.)

I'm not Corpsey but for The Beatles - who I don't care about - I can say they're not wank, dunno about their class and care less, but I can say they're not wank for these three, amongst a few others :

This (only from this point, the earlier part of the song is wank)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tAe2Q_LhY8g?start=276" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

This, cos it slays :

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x439u1g" allowfullscreen="" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

And Here Comes The Sun cos it's lovely, and you'd have to be stupid to think it isn't.

luka

Turn my back for five minutes and its all jazzy drum and bass and the beatles...

Im not going to reconnect the internet. I look much sexier without it. Sharpens my whole face up its nuts. You lot can dematerialise without me

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
5 beatles tracks to put to bed the UK punk consensus of them being middle class wank
if I might

first tho, on "punk consensus" - UK punk mentality was Year Zero kill yr idols "No Elvis Beatles or Rolling Stones in 1977" and rightly so, to stake the position, but it was never literally true. The Damned and Siouxsie both did Beatles covers. all the kids of that generation grew up with the early Beatles rocknroll records. the true sonic backlash was against prog, and The Beatles predate the prog/punk axis, or rather they straddle its creation at both ends, a dynamic they themselves were aware of, i.e. White Album in part a return to to stripped-down rocknroll. (U.S. punk was less invested in clean breaks/idol killing - in fact venerated its elder statesmen like Reed and Pop - and so you have The Ramones copping their name directly from a Macca pseudonym)

anyway, tho I am personally no great fan - quite like a couple songs, loathe a few, the rest whatever -defending the Beatles on this particular charge is doable

padraig (u.s.)

stand-in for the entire Hamburg era. pretty intense for 1962, comparable to the early U.S. garage rock of that year. can't really call it proto-punk even in the Lenny Kaye sense of garage punk but you could call it proto-proto-punk - ofc where garage rock got rawer and wilder (The Monks are kind of a spiritual successor here) the Beatles went the other other way. not gonna pretend I listened to this whole thing but just compare Twist + Shout and especially I Saw Her Standing There to the later recorded versions.

there's noise rock (dissonance, feedback), there's proto-heavy metal as heavy as anything (other than Blue Cheer) pre-Sabbath

all Paul too, his strongest argument against not being the lame one

She's So Heavy does have similar doomy vibes but doesn't rock out nearly as hard or - despite its title - as heavy

the Beatles' only truly psychedelic moment but what a moment

there is a certain perversity in using Stockhausen-derived tape experimentation to argue that something isn't bourgeois art wank

and it's not even very good by the standards of musique concrete, tape collage, etc

but you gotta respect the most popular band in the world putting it on a record at the very height of that popularity

the hardest thing in art is to provoke a visceral reaction - this still bewilders and/or pisses people off after half a century, and that is a true achievement

of course for the 4-minute outro that could go on forever - the Beatles only rock into infinity moment, but again, what a moment

padraig (u.s.)

bonus, that is also better than any Beatles song

in which Yoko thru some kind of sorcery remakes 2 Beatles + Klaus Voormann into steroidal Neu!

and simultaneously sets the blueprint for every warbling avant-garde female vocalist to come from Galas to Bjork

CrowleyHead

Luka's like that one anecdote from Mark E Smith when he's collaborating with dance music producers and he says "Needs 'em Sgt. Pepper drums" and they're like "??? what's that?" and then one's like "He's talking about that hippy band" and then Mark is like "I FUCKING LOVE YOU KIDS"