Corpsey

bandz ahoy
So e.g. Luka please compile a ten track list of 90s rap that isn't the obvious stuff.

Just write the artist and title (and explanations/descriptions if you like) otherwise the thread will get clogged up with YouTube embeds.

luka

My internet got cut off cos I didn't pay the bill. I can afford it but keep forgetting to put money in my account. Guna be long getting them to reconnect I can just tell cunts

blissblogger

jazzy jungle that is undeniable

Adam F - Circles
Roni Size + Die - Music Box
Dillinja - Deep Love
Jacob's Optical Stairway - Harsh Realities
Roni Size - Daylight
Dillinja - Sovereign Melody
Roni Size, Reprazent - Heroes
Hidden Agenda - Is It Love?
T- Power - Horny Mutant Jazz
Roni Size - It's A Jazz Thing

Some of these perhaps more soundtracky / souljazzy than jazzual per se - but definitely on the crisp n mellow Fabio-friendly tip

Not exactly what you have in mind but contains jazz elements or jazz vibes and love it 2 tha bone

DJ Trace - Jazz Primitives
Gappa G + Hypa Hypa - Information Centre
Jamie Myerson - Find Yourself (contains Flora Purim samples)
Roni Size, Reprazent - New Forms (Roni Size remix)
Dave Wallace - Expressions pt 1 and pt 2
PFM - One and Only

there's probably some 4 Hero i'm missing here

and then all the Goldie stuff with Diane Charlemagne - "Angel", "Inner City Life" etc

droid

Droid - 5 long drones please

Alvin Lucier - Music on a long thin wire
Eliane Radigue - Kyema
Kali Malone - Empty the belief
Anthony Child - Caught Dreaming In A Perfect Past
Donnacha Costello - Mouvements
Sarah Davachi - Auster
Robert Curgenven - Black Phase
Marc Barreca ‎- The Sleeper Wakes
Olivier Alary - Pieces for Sine Wave Oscillators
Masstishaddhu - Angels Gather Here Between Purity Of Heart & Hopeless Despair

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Thirdform - 10 no future techno trax please

mescalinum united - the 2nd coming.
Fly By Wire (Dave Clarke) alkaline 3dh, on magnetic north...
Jammin Unit and Walker - Planet of Love part II.
Neil Landstrumm - Shuttlecock
Basic Channel - Phylyps Trak II/I.
JoeFarr - Comp Killer.
Electronome - Een Drumcomputer En Een Synthesizer II
Razor Cut - Increase (a2) A1 is also sick. off this: https://www.discogs.com/Razor-Cut-Steve-Gust-Razor-Gust/release/345628
Substance & Vainqueur - Emerge 1 (British Murder Boys Remix,
the one on epiteth by Casual state and ingler, PTH016.

Honorable mention also goes to Nick East - Increased outline, the one on drop bass network, dbn012 if i remember correctly.
And:
Somatic responses - Umbrella.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Adam F - Circles
Roni Size + Die - Music Box
Dillinja - Deep Love
Jacob's Optical Stairway - Harsh Realities
Roni Size - Daylight
Dillinja - Sovereign Melody
Roni Size, Reprazent - Heroes
Hidden Agenda - Is It Love?
T- Power - Horny Mutant Jazz
Roni Size - It's A Jazz Thing

Some of these perhaps more soundtracky / souljazzy than jazzual per se - but definitely on the crisp n mellow Fabio-friendly tip

Not exactly what you have in mind but contains jazz elements or jazz vibes and love it 2 tha bone

DJ Trace - Jazz Primitives
Gappa G + Hypa Hypa - Information Centre
Jamie Myerson - Find Yourself (contains Flora Purim samples)
Roni Size, Reprazent - New Forms (Roni Size remix)
PFM - One and Only

there's probably some 4 Hero i'm missing here

and then all the Goldie stuff with Diane Charlemagne - "Angel", "Inner City Life" etc

wot no blame? this remix just edges em all.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
also really jazzy but in the most liberal way. hammered by bukem etc. really was the best dj before him and his cohorts developed their sound and like everyone else went into their own box. one of the weirdist tracks of that 92-94 period and that's saying something.

blissblogger

wot no blame? this remix just edges em all.

nice tune

i was toying with Blame & Justice "Anthemia" b/w "Essence" but i'm not sure either side is exactly jazzy - sultry, smooth, spacey, Grace Jonesy-y in the case of "Essence"

"Nightvision" another great B& J tune that is on the smoov tip

seem to remember Blame's Sub Committee EP as being laced with milky-synth Joe Zawinul vybez

"jazz" i was interpreting as a certain type of chords, certain textures (Rhodes, flute, etc), as opposed to being atmospheric / ambient / soundtrack-to-nonexistent-movie

droid

There's other aspects of Jazz, the fragments of vibe but also the abstraction in approach.

More straight up smooth Jazz influence here:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
There's other aspects of Jazz, the fragments of vibe but also the abstraction in approach.
I like the way that almost any sub-clause of that sentence could have been the title of a 3xLP on Good Looking in 1997. Meta.

droid

I used to get slagged for playing this out.

I suppose this is a kind of nadir for credible jazz DnB. Big tune IIRC. Nice shuffle on the roll out.

More of the same ilk

droid

Ive boosted this before. Lovely tune and one of the most successful Jazz fusion attempts IMO.

blissblogger

the whole of that Jacob's Optical Stairway album is great

re EZ Rollers, I was surprised how enjoyable the Weekend World album was hearing it for the first time earlier this year (whereas the actual EZ debut Dimensions of Sound i recall from the time of its release as being too clean, too mild - part of that disappointing queasy moment when Moving Shadow seemed to lose it, bongos a-ripplin' on every bleedin record)

yeah there's jazz in the sense of the add-on's, the superfluous flava elements - textures, pale-blue chords, light-touch pads, overall luxuriance to the arrangements etc

and then there's jazz in the sense of what's going on with the drums ie more fundamental structure, rhythmic grammar of the music

David Toop said something memorable (that i can't quite remember exactly!) about how the rhythmic structure of jungle was like 'dropping the bomb' in bebop - the bass-boom syncopating against the clatter of the drum kit, is how i took that

perhaps someone who knows anything at all about bebop can tell me if that's actually a valid analogy!

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corpsey. 5 beatles tracks to put to bed the UK punk consensus of them being middle class wank (a consensus i subscribe to.)

droid

the whole of that Jacob's Optical Stairway album is great

re EZ Rollers, I was surprised how enjoyable the Weekend World album was hearing it for the first time earlier this year (whereas the actual EZ debut Dimensions of Sound i recall from the time of its release as being too clean, too mild - part of that disappointing queasy moment when Moving Shadow seemed to lose it, bongos a-ripplin' on every bleedin record)

Nah, dimensions has this:

And this:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's a great challenge thirdform and I'm not sure I'm able to - but I'll think about it.

Thanks for all who have answered !