Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Kill the Internet?

the collapse of the internet will activate a period of unprecedented creativity

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    the collapse of the internet will activate a period of unprecedented creativity
    Bur there will be no distribution channels to get any of it an audience. What's next?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

One thing I was turning over in my mind, as part of the imagine a world post capitalism question, was what would or could towns be without retail? How would we use the space and what would we do with our time?

With no internet what would I do when I'm taking overextended toilet breaks at work?

Used to be solitaire and snake I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    One thing I was turning over in my mind, as part of the imagine a world post capitalism question, was what would or could towns be without retail? How would we use the space and what would we do with our time?
    unfortunately, some entrepreneur somewhere is probably already on this question, and thinking about making Huddersfield (chosen at random) into a Virtual Zombie Experience Environment or somesuch. But if towns could be truly post-capitalist spaces, then...

to a small degree in some parts of the states, that's started to happen. lots of the former retail space (as with abandoned manufacturing/industrial space before it) get repurposed for things that can't be purchased online: services like gyms and yoga studios, hair and nail salons, medical clinics, WeWork-type cooperative work spaces and coffee shops. For a number of years, every empty retail space seemed to turn into a bank branch, but that's slowed down.

in short, people are tending to only leave their house for some sort of personal care, to buy services not products.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    to a small degree in some parts of the states, that's started to happen. lots of the former retail space (as with abandoned manufacturing/industrial space before it) get repurposed for things that can't be purchased online: services like gyms and yoga studios, hair and nail salons, medical clinics, WeWork-type cooperative work spaces and coffee shops. For a number of years, every empty retail space seemed to turn into a bank branch, but that's slowed down.

in short, people are tending to only leave their house for some sort of personal care, to buy services not products.
    Yes, it's interesting isn't it. Perhaps there's an opportunity in there somewhere or perhaps its just a greater degree of atomisation, a further shift away from public social life

it should be a contradiction, but your future "social" life will happen online while at home, alone.

then you have those listening clubs with high-end audiophile systems, where technically you're in a room with others but might as well be in isolation, everyone's sitting in silence, concentrating on the sound design details. social not social.
    Last edited by Leo; 27-02-2019 at 12:04 AM.

It's not really good enough is it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

do all your shopping at home and then going out to listen to music the way you used to.. at home.

Maybe urban farming will take over town centres - everything from veg, chicken, weed plantations to fruit that won't grow in newly-arid areas. The logical endpoint for food localism. Plenty of space in somewhere like Selfridges to grow cauliflowers and yams.

I think social media will burn out, become taboo and then die. Too much like telepathy - either it goes or civilisation does.

If a big war breaks out it'll be outright banned, otherwise you'd check your timeline and find drone footage of your home, with a message like "Nice little house you have there, hmgovt. Here are some people like you that we bombed last week. Insist that your government submits."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

Bur there will be no distribution channels to get any of it an audience. What's next?
    why? we can still distribute the old way right? magazines, radio, television?

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    why? we can still distribute the old way right? magazines, radio, television?
    No. That would be several steps backwards. We need to keep the peer to peer aspect somehow.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

If you watch Friends on TV now, it's quite obvious that the Internet and mobile phones did not really exist then. It has an impact on the humour and situations that is sort of startling once you notice it. All this stuff does actually. I recall meeting Mark KP outside Foyles for dinner when he got his first i-Pod, not only was I surprised he could afford it, he seemed amazed he had one and was giddy about its potential. It was a new universe. Not that long ago, really.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    If you watch Friends on TV now, it's quite obvious that the Internet and mobile phones did not really exist then. It has an impact on the humour and situations that is sort of startling once you notice it. All this stuff does actually. I recall meeting Mark KP outside Foyles for dinner when he got his first i-Pod, not only was I surprised he could afford it, he seemed amazed he had one and was giddy about its potential. It was a new universe. Not that long ago, really.
    Explain what you mean please. What impact. What specifically did you pick up on?