Trip to Galway

Leo

My wife is attending a conference in Galway in April, and I get to tag along and play all day while she's in meetings. Appreciate any tips/suggestions on things to do, etc.

I imagine we'd fly into Dublin, about 2:30 hour drive away. Should we take bus or rail to Galway? Not currently planning to rent a car, figured we'd explore the town on foot/local bus, unless the surrounding area is worth an excursion outside.

thanks.

Last edited:

droid

You could see most of Galway itself in an hour or two, but he surrounding area is absolutely beautiful, though a car is essential. You could try Connemara National Park, Barna Woods, the Burren, Cliffs of Moher etc. depends how long you've got.

Tends to be a bit rainy out West so that weather may affect things.

I would say train from Heuston station would be better than the bus. If youre renting a car just drive the whole way from the airport, otherwise its bus into the city then the train.

Section 5 is out those parts, he will have better advice, Ill ping him.

Leo

thanks, droid. it's all in the early planning stages now, so open to anything. probably there for 4-5 days (some time taken up by doing work from the hotel room though).

droid

In that case I would strongly recommend a car despite the expense. Public transport here, and especially outside the cities is appalling.

The drive for Dublin to Galway is fine, probably the quickest option actually. Spend a day or two in Dublin on the way home and I'll hook up with you. I should be around in April.

Oh, and book hotels asap, they're crazy expensive last minute. In fact everything is crazy expensive. You might get a deal on one of these kinda sites:

https://www.groupon.ie/browse/galwa...=Galway,+Ireland&division=galway&locale=en_IE

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Hi Leo, only getting to this now.

So Galway is a small city on the west coast. Big student and artist population. Recent times have eroded some of the bohemian vibe but it remains one of the most culturally Gaelic parts of the country. Festival 'season' kicks off this month and runs more less till Christmas. Cúirt is on during April, a week of lit events, mix of Irish and international authors doing events all over town in pubs, theatres, etc. The programme is usually quite good and cheap.

The city itself is compact so you needn't worry about getting around or occupying yourself during the afternoons. There is plenty of shopping outside of generic high street if that's your thing. Recommend Charlie Bynre's books for whiling away an afternoon. Whatever the weather, walking out the seafront promenade to Salthill village is a must and one of the best things about home,

Galway is much more affordable than Dublin. You certainly can spend money if you want but day to day it wont burn a hole in your pocket.For lunch, Lighthouse Cafe and TGO are doing great things. Tigh Neachtain is a local institution. 100 year old pub with great history and the real deal. Worth it for the drinks and atmosphere alone. They also do a great lunch or in the evenings there is a quality dinner menu upstairs in the Kasbah. Besides that Ard Bia and Kai are uniquely west of Ireland restaurants and among the best in town. If you're very into food and spending serious money on it, Loam and Aniar are one off experiences.

In the evenings check out The Universal for top notch drinks and dinner. This is over the bridge down 'the west' part of town where there is a better atmosphere and selection of pubs. Where the locals drink basically. A few doors down is the Crane bar if you want to check out an authentic traditional music session while here. Also around the corner is Bierhaus with the best selection of beers, ales, stouts and whatever else in town. On the grill they do great sandwiches. This place is laid back and very popular with university staff more so than students so there is a chance you might end up there some evening. I'm resident DJ too which is a bonus. In terms of night life and entertainment Id say just go with the flow around town and can't really go wrong. I know GZA is doing Liquid Swords on Saturday 6th though you are hardly making such plans!

Just beyond the city to the west is the Connemara region. It is definitely worth a day exploring but only if you do rent a car. Tbh train from the airport is one of the nicest ways to see the country and a lot better than going from Dublin to Galway on a dreary motorway. That's my preferences but up to yourself. Anything else, let me know.

Leo

wow, thanks so much for all the detail, sectionfive! this is great, really appreciate it.

droid

Local knowledge come through!

if you're taking the train you need to get from the airport to Heuston station. There is a bus (https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/74711/) but if its a weekday and between 7-10am or 4-7pm traffic is gonna be bad. Taxi will be at least €30, probably a lot more.

Car rental from Galway for a day or two might be an idea, cheaper too. Bikes could be an option if you don't mind putting some miles in your legs.

If Section5 is playing make sure to go and check him. One of my favourite DJ's and all round gent.

Leo

crushed.

some unanticipated work things now make it impossible for me to tag along, the missus will make the trip on her own. I've shared all your suggestions and encouraged her to explore the places recommended.

I'm sure we'll go to Dublin at some point but sad about missing out on Galway, since it's far less likely we'll have a reason to visit there. sectionfive's description make it sound like a great small city.

thanks so much again for the suggestions, section five and droid. really appreciate it.

< sadface >