Thread: Trip to Galway

Default Trip to Galway

My wife is attending a conference in Galway in April, and I get to tag along and play all day while she's in meetings. Appreciate any tips/suggestions on things to do, etc.

I imagine we'd fly into Dublin, about 2:30 hour drive away. Should we take bus or rail to Galway? Not currently planning to rent a car, figured we'd explore the town on foot/local bus, unless the surrounding area is worth an excursion outside.

thanks.
    Last edited by Leo; 07-01-2019 at 08:31 PM.

You could see most of Galway itself in an hour or two, but he surrounding area is absolutely beautiful, though a car is essential. You could try Connemara National Park, Barna Woods, the Burren, Cliffs of Moher etc. depends how long you've got.

Tends to be a bit rainy out West so that weather may affect things.

I would say train from Heuston station would be better than the bus. If youre renting a car just drive the whole way from the airport, otherwise its bus into the city then the train.

Section 5 is out those parts, he will have better advice, Ill ping him.

thanks, droid. it's all in the early planning stages now, so open to anything. probably there for 4-5 days (some time taken up by doing work from the hotel room though).

In that case I would strongly recommend a car despite the expense. Public transport here, and especially outside the cities is appalling.

The drive for Dublin to Galway is fine, probably the quickest option actually. Spend a day or two in Dublin on the way home and I'll hook up with you. I should be around in April.

Oh, and book hotels asap, they're crazy expensive last minute. In fact everything is crazy expensive. You might get a deal on one of these kinda sites:

https://www.groupon.ie/browse/galway...y&locale=en_IE