Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: could use criticism of the music i've been doing so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I guess this is where record labels still come in handy - they might not separate what from chaff, but they certainly separate PROPER MUSIC from SOME BLOKE MUSIC in the minds of the multitudes (I'm a member btw).
    This is an interesting point though. Nothing is ever attractive until other people are attracted to it. The mere fact of something being on bandcamp makes it unappealing to me, like dumpster diving.

How this impossible threshold is crossed is interesting to me (partly because I want to cross it)

In my opinion a forum offers a better and more attainable model than an anonymous fanbase. Fame is just a carrot always out of reach but an active and engaged community seems achievable or at least feels as if it should be achievable.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

The shift has to be away from the star system and top down culture that is only ever so much propaganda and social engineering. This is what pirate radio achieved to some degree.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I stupidly believed all the blog stuff was its own justification. I was so dumb I didn't realise all my peers were angling for jobs at the guardian.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

How do people like me and you, people who want to work that is, create a useful community? And here you have to have people putting in as much as they take out. I have a poet friend(not woops btw) who always demands and receives detailed and conscientious feedback from me but has never once reciprocated. And granted I'm so clever and advanced it's hard to grapple with but on the other hand that kind of man baby self absorption is a menace to any attempt to build something along these lines.

The conversation is the whole thing and the 'art' is always an integral part of the conversation, not set aside as fetish object.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

And of course it's hard to work and hard to think and we're all tired and dissatisfied bled dry and etc etc

And of course talent is not evenly distributed but I still think this is the only way to keep the culture game alive in any meaningful way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Prynne says a poet only needs one reader, and that's true but you do need that one. It's impossible to work without an audience. It can't be done. So the obvious solution is for reciprocal arrangements(like the Wordsworth/Coleridge relation he was referring to)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

And there's no reason why these communities and coalitions should last forever. They don't need to. They only need to last long enough to get some work done.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: