could use criticism of the music i've been doing so far?

sadmanbarty

once you've completed every song then go "this needs to faster and the drums need to smack you" once you do that you're sorted.

luka

Crowly answer the question. Express your feelings openly and generously without fear of censure

other_life

bioconfused
not to fucking be sorry for myself more than i already have fuck it here goes u have to understand i'm a wallflower living in the northern reaches of the american midwest who only turns 21 this year. in the fucking sticks. i don't have a context for club music, hardcore continuum the same way someone who say grew up in the uk in the 90s does, i *enjoy it sometimes* but it usually feels pretty out of place. so of course what i do is gonna sound like "2011 student house show/dance on ketamine" because *i saw* all of that but was too young to *actually participate* in it. it's really stupid but i feel envious of people who were able to because of how, frozen out and locked down and fragmented in all directions everything feels now

Last edited:

luka

You're allowed to feel sorry for yourself. Why not? That's what we make things out of. It's the material.

luka

I've broken my hand twice maybe three times its not helpful punching things which are harder than bone. But yes, my instinct here is to want to bring it back into the body. I can imagine third form writing some brilliant radioactive and incomprehensible post explaining how this is fascist capitalist impulse I should free myself of but that's what I want to do. The physical condition. The air against the skin. We do live in these immaterial places now but the physiological thing for me is still paramount

other_life

bioconfused
luka's post felt devastating
out of frustration w this i recorded a tape side of drum box trashy fender and boombox-headphones-amp feedback, hoping to trim it down and overdub some fun sampling and vocal textures over it

luka

Sorry I wasn't trying to be mean. Sometimes I'm clumsy and tread on toes without meaning too. I think what you do is a thing, very characteristic of the times and I find it unsettling and aggravating and for those reasons it interests me.

luka

I can't be bothered engaging with the stuff you're reacting to and in conversation with I'd rather just view the entire situation through you and try and work out what I think and feel. I'm going to try and sleep now.

luka

It's probably not that useful for all of us to tell you to turn it into music we already like. Tell me a bit about what you're trying to do and why and what it means.

other_life

bioconfused
what you're trying to do:
i'm not fucking sure which is why i sometimes get the feeling i should just stop... there's no room for this shit anymore, i should have never expected to find *any* lasting audience for this shit. i guess, trying to translate ephemeral/immaterial personal experiences and arcs into something even somewhat more tangible and lasting. is the least bullshit answer i can give you.

and why:
i bought it. i bought all of it, the self-referential discussions about canonicity and genre that do not fucking matter in real life, the self-destructive narcissistic sociopathic bullshit of 'the individual genius', the mutually hyping internet cliques making ephemeral trash digital music seem like it was new or important. all of it.

and what it means:
a1989563707_10.jpg

other_life

bioconfused
i *really want* to make something more physical and communal but feel blocked out of every in. nobody wants my shit. i made the mistake of growing up on the internet. and now it's just over.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Pattycakes what do you think of this music. You're a good listener although granted your taste is a bit haywire

i wanted to listen but i didn't know where to start. the few random ones i skimmed sounded 'cool' for want of a better word but most things made in the last decade or so with wave in the genre name end up leaving me feeling a bit dematerialized. theres familiarity, but i can't grip on to it

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
i *really want* to make something more physical and communal but feel blocked out of every in.

what ins are you talking about? maybe you should just use this as a moment to hit your inner F5 and start doing something totally different than you normally would? you definitely have skills.

nobody wants my shit. i made the mistake of growing up on the internet. and now it's just over.

i also feel this way, except i'm not really putting my stuff out there