Surprising Good Records

IdleRich

IdleRich
I didn't know of this track until a couple of years ago when I stumbled across it on some mix I heard. I then checked the playlist and was really surprised to see this was from Cat Stevens!
Ah OK, I read about it in some history of electro or hip-hop or something. I think it was name-checked by quite a few people. I bet there are quite a few bands who did a one-off electro type thing but I can't think of any off the top of my head frustratingly.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this is not that, rather it's the guy the Beach Boys brought in to replace Brian Wilson as a touring member after he retreated into the studio, doing a novelty disco version of Pipeline

but! all about the last 2+ minutes - that long rolling waves percussion and hottt chickenscratch guitar building all the way back up to full swell of vocals, strings, etc

yet another Garage record - that transitional generation of disco->house DJs were so good at finding and/or repurposing obscurities

padraig (u.s.)

this one is pretty well-known I think? but credit where it's due, a masterpiece of funky paranoia from Sumner + Co

in fact, the only case I know of (besides Liquid Liquid) of a track by a white group being interpolated into the backing track for the pre-drum machine era of rap, as here

padraig (u.s.)

and speaking of disco, rap, and the early 80s, this is a huge personal favorite by the guy from The Damned

Good Times bassline, Dolly Mixture backing vocals, and the whole thing has just a very languid, blaaaazed, dubbed-out vibe that is again, one of my wheelhouses

one of the many things I really enjoy about that era is how the lack of distance between rap proper and things like this

or tbf, more things like Rapture, Genius of Love, etc than this but still aside from visionaries like Spoonie Gee the rapping in rap proper wasn't itself really more complicated

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

perhaps this marks some sort of nadir for garage in people's eyes/ears but i fux with it

edit: just checked and it was produced by the Wideboys, so that makes sense, knew it must be someone legit

IdleRich

IdleRich
But did Divinyls do loads of bad records that make the walking one surprising? That's the only song I know by them... I think.

firefinga

I actually never thought Queen were that horrible, but the above one was very untypical for their otherwise rather "middle on the road" apporach of rock.