Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1990s revisited: Mo Wax or Ninja Tunes?

Mo'Wax was all about the first Shadow and Krush tunes. Then Headz came out, and it was all shit, apart from the Shadow and Krush tunes.

Lavelle being a hipster, he was the Ur-Hipster. I haven't seen that recent film about him, but I suspect it has Spinal Tap elements to it. He is hilarious. He doesn't think he is, but he is.

Even in 94 this was overshadowed by the Beastie Boys and even then it was like, why are you listening to that rather than, say, Tical?

That was then, even, pre-internet, old days, hard to get stuff, hear stuff...no excuse! It wasn't THAT hard!

This is ironic to me because I think UNKLE have made good songs but DJ Shadow is worthless to me until he made Hyphy records.

Gimme this over The Endtroducing any day

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    neither, really. not a fan of most ninja, have a more active dislike of the mo wax vibe.
    that sounds about right!

well, they both had a few good records but the label auras are off-putting to put it mildly

i saw an early version of the James Lavelle doc at a festival a few years ago and what amazed me was how many UNKLE albums there'd been.

the first was bad enough - so i guess i'd assumed that that was it - but no, no, they persisted after Psyence Fiction (what a title eh?). there's about FIVE other UNKLE albums!

and what's worse is that they get increasingly rocky, involving such as Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age

like Lavelle started buying into this really naff idea of rock rebellion and intensity and authenticity

while also convincing himself that being a curator really is the same as being a creator - that's there's nothing to writing songs, creating a band-sound, a band energy. you just have to have the taste, the connections, and the chutzpah

can't remember if Lavelle's the frontman on any of the songs, i've got a horrible feeling he is, but I'm not about to go and check

but what do you know? only a couple of days ago, a press release arrives in the inbox - there's a new UNKLE album coming out!

I have a confession.

I 've never knowingly listened to DJ Shadow.

I liked and probably still like early shadow. It's romantic, as detroit techno is romantic

heh, it really seems like dislike for James Lavelle's persona is the primary criteria by which people judge Mo' Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Pearsall View Post
    heh, it really seems like dislike for James Lavelle's persona is the primary criteria by which people judge Mo' Wax
    There's his hat too...

DJ-producer-MoWax-James-Lavelle-aka-U.N.K.L.E-Tracy-Phillips_A.jpg

James-Lavelle.jpg

lavelle.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Coldcut JDJ mix '70 Minutes Of Madness' was pretty seminal to my young mind's developing musical tastes. One Blood over The Truper - Street Beats Vol 2 still sounds amazing, although a lot of the rest of it has been forgotten about tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    Coldcut JDJ mix '70 Minutes Of Madness' was pretty seminal to my young mind's developing musical tastes. One Blood over The Truper - Street Beats Vol 2 still sounds amazing, although a lot of the rest of it has been forgotten about tbh.
    i keep meaning to make a 'commercial mixes' thread and this would be my pick for the one i listened to most along with gilles peterson's JDJ.