Roc Marciano Is An Abomination

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It depends. I can't work out yer position. sometimes you're into 67 - money spree and beats like that, and other times you speak like a true schooler. i can never work it out. sometimes i think you have a similar taste to me, classic UK style being caught between fresh beats and the classic soul cords formula, but then other times i'm not sure you do. I would say it coheres more authority on you, historically...

I don't really have a position, but I'm a lapsed fundamentalist. I went through that stage of only listening to 'underground' rap, hating all the commercial stuff (in principle; actually I listened to Tim Westwood and was into that stuff, but with a degree of ironic disdain). Then I got into drum n bass, then dance music in general, the beats became more important to me than the lyrics and I got into all the rap I used to think was dumb. Of course, I did the classic thing of turning on all that I used to venerate, becoming allergic to nerdy rap or any rap that doesn't work in a club. This shift was very much aided by my time on dissensus, which - while being full of nerds - is anti-nerd-music, pro hardcore, etc...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't really have a position, but I'm a lapsed fundamentalist. I went through that stage of only listening to 'underground' rap, hating all the commercial stuff (in principle; actually I listened to Tim Westwood and was into that stuff, but with a degree of ironic disdain). Then I got into drum n bass, then dance music in general, the beats became more important to me than the lyrics and I got into all the rap I used to think was dumb. Of course, I did the classic thing of turning on all that I used to venerate, becoming allergic to nerdy rap or any rap that doesn't work in a club. This shift was very much aided by my time on dissensus, which - while being full of nerds - is anti-nerd-music, pro hardcore, etc...

So I wasn't abusing you yesterday when I said that I don't want to resurrect Vinnie Paz like corpse?

hmmm, in a way that feels like a relief.

luka

I don't care that it exists and I don't think it gets in anyone's way I just think it's a boutique product, somewhat airless, mannerist, having only the most tangential relationship to rap proper. It's intriguing, in its way. But my interest in it is more in a commercial way, more about how to sell something, than in the music itself which we all agree is drab in the extreme.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I basically find Luka's taste impeccable, so I'm sure he has sound reasons for not liking RM, he could probably easily make me feel he's right and I'm wrong.

Although I'd think luka could at least appreciate Marciano's lyrics as a sort of pimp poetry

'Sitting in the E class Benz
Black ski mask, black timbs, platinum mac ten
That’ll shatter your Cadillac tints'

luka

The disengagement of the delivery I trace back to the PTSD affectlessness of Mobb Deep but it doesn't have the iciness and the charisma of Havoc and Prodigy. That's my problem. Not the lyrics per se

luka

What is 'rap proper' though, and who decides that?

It's a bit like when Logan Sama said on here that Lady Soveriegn wasn't grime and all these weirdoes were Shocked and Outraged and said he was trying to be a gatekeeper and police the genre, but like it's obvious isn't it

luka

Mind you we never got to hear Bartys reasoning behind this minor provocation. (which was aimed at Trilliam)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that comparison don't really work though because like jungle grime only works when its totally fundamentalist and passes the invariant catechism down from producer to producer.

whereas the catholic nature of street rap is what makes it appealing even though there has not been 'deep' lyrics in forever.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Mind you we never got to hear Bartys reasoning behind this minor provocation. (which was aimed at Trilliam)

I miss trilliam - I can just imagine him rolling his eyes HARD at most of the threads on here lately though :crylarf:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

I want barty to post the comeback of hitman in the grime thread and me to laugh at him but then you've made him watertight now. he knows what is persona non grata on dissensus. in a way i think this is a momentous achievement of mentoring but also it has closed the door on us.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I miss trilliam - I can just imagine him rolling his eyes HARD at most of the threads on here lately though :crylarf:

you were supposed to back me in proving to him that deep tech is identical to, if not an inferior copy of sheffield bleep. but for some inexplicable reason deep tech beats were more skippy than bleep beats? barmy.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Luke seems to be the only person who can truly truly understand my taste on this forum. i have no idea why.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You're both superclever fundamentalists. Nobody understands what either of you are on about half the time, which perhaps explains the terrifying, wrathful rages you both fly into on occasion.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm gonna find the most evangelical greek playlist for you on spotify one day. then you'll reach our level and it will be a great day. born again convert.

luka

You're both superclever fundamentalists. Nobody understands what either of you are on about half the time, which perhaps explains the terrifying, wrathful rages you both fly into on occasion.

This is probably true. I can get very upset, and almost panicky, frightened, when I'm not making myself understood.

luka

Cmon lets get this playground scrap started. Corpse, stoke the fires, stir it up. It's the younger generation in their own dissensus hunger games.

I was doing this at the start of the year still trying to do it now.

forclosure

alright ALRIGHT Luke mate ill throw you a bone and contribute to here but when i get back
maybe one of these days ill kick of a thread with a "provocative" title n see how that goes

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This place runs on provocation

Without it it gets boring, fast

You've got to take the rough with the smooth though, which is that people are often asserting outrageous ridiculous things.