Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roc Marciano Is An Abomination

I love Crowley's description of 'bombed out' rap.

However, I think it's a generalisation based on a wider knowledge of rap. Essentially, you're writing it off before you've heard it, or as you hear it.

If that's because you find the music intrinsically boring or badly done (I suspect you do, you find it 'zombified' as opposed to 'mannerist'), that's fine. Personally, I think Roc Marciano is great at what he does - these nonchalant spools of 'fly' talk. Not heard his more recent albums but I also love the beats on 'Reloaded', e.g., like 'We Ill' in particular, dense atmospheric noir.

He drops a lot of 'ohhhh!' lines. Like listening to it he ties up these patterns so perfectly and sometimes with this ultra dry humour, that you go 'ohhh!' like when you were skateboarding and your mate landed a good trick.

This is a kind of nourishment that you don't get with a lot of drill rappers, whatever you might say about their innovations with monosyllables etc.
    Last edited by Corpsey; 30-04-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Crowley is the greater authority on NYC rap and on rap in general, no denying that

But I'm a greater authority on why Roc Marciano is good, cos I like him

The obverse applies with Migos, incidentally

I reckon I probably know more about rap than Barty on the whole, but do I know about Migos? No, because I can't stand them. But does that mean I'm right, cos I've listened to more 90's rap albums?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    The obverse applies with Migos, incidentally

I reckon I probably know more about rap than Barty on the whole, but do I know about Migos? No, because I can't stand them. But does that mean I'm right, cos I've listened to more 90's rap albums?
    It depends. I can't work out yer position. sometimes you're into 67 - money spree and beats like that, and other times you speak like a true schooler. i can never work it out. sometimes i think you have a similar taste to me, classic UK style being caught between fresh beats and the classic soul cords formula, but then other times i'm not sure you do. I would say it coheres more authority on you, historically... not that you've said much about Migos apart from a vague disgust as far as i can see... whereas Luke takes a position that is all now now now future forget 90s rap to gode barty but barty seems in love with tinashe party favours which came out in like 2014. it's a 5 year long break up. never seen anything like it really. usually my break ups take 10 minutes. one for the psychoanalysis books in the future. maybe our barty is the next Freud who knows?
    Last edited by thirdform; 30-04-2019 at 09:18 AM.

I dunno, I think if rap was all like roc marciano in 2019 I'd be depressed and uninterested. So I respect that viewpoint. I guess luka/crowley view it as something clogging up the system. And obviously there IS something deadly about Roc Marci/Ka - the emotionaly deadness of tone, the drum-less beats, the sense that it could be any year, not 2019...

OTOH I think there's a lot of 90's venerating rap around which IS uninteresting. I don't think I'm just a 90s guy deluding myself that Roc Marciano is a good rapper/producer.

P.S. Should point out here that I do find a lot of Roc Marciano boring too, even on Reloaded and Marcberg there's not that many tracks I revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    It depends. I can't work out yer position. sometimes you're into 67 - money spree and beats like that, and other times you speak like a true schooler. i can never work it out. sometimes i think you have a similar taste to me, classic UK style being caught between fresh beats and the classic soul cords formula, but then other times i'm not sure you do. I would say it coheres more authority on you, historically...
    I don't really have a position, but I'm a lapsed fundamentalist. I went through that stage of only listening to 'underground' rap, hating all the commercial stuff (in principle; actually I listened to Tim Westwood and was into that stuff, but with a degree of ironic disdain). Then I got into drum n bass, then dance music in general, the beats became more important to me than the lyrics and I got into all the rap I used to think was dumb. Of course, I did the classic thing of turning on all that I used to venerate, becoming allergic to nerdy rap or any rap that doesn't work in a club. This shift was very much aided by my time on dissensus, which - while being full of nerds - is anti-nerd-music, pro hardcore, etc...

I don't really have a position, but I'm a lapsed fundamentalist. I went through that stage of only listening to 'underground' rap, hating all the commercial stuff (in principle; actually I listened to Tim Westwood and was into that stuff, but with a degree of ironic disdain). Then I got into drum n bass, then dance music in general, the beats became more important to me than the lyrics and I got into all the rap I used to think was dumb. Of course, I did the classic thing of turning on all that I used to venerate, becoming allergic to nerdy rap or any rap that doesn't work in a club. This shift was very much aided by my time on dissensus, which - while being full of nerds - is anti-nerd-music, pro hardcore, etc...
    So I wasn't abusing you yesterday when I said that I don't want to resurrect Vinnie Paz like corpse?

hmmm, in a way that feels like a relief.

I don't care that it exists and I don't think it gets in anyone's way I just think it's a boutique product, somewhat airless, mannerist, having only the most tangential relationship to rap proper. It's intriguing, in its way. But my interest in it is more in a commercial way, more about how to sell something, than in the music itself which we all agree is drab in the extreme.

I basically find Luka's taste impeccable, so I'm sure he has sound reasons for not liking RM, he could probably easily make me feel he's right and I'm wrong.

Although I'd think luka could at least appreciate Marciano's lyrics as a sort of pimp poetry

'Sitting in the E class Benz
    Black ski mask, black timbs, platinum mac ten
    Thatíll shatter your Cadillac tints'

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    having only the most tangential relationship to rap proper..
    What is 'rap proper' though, and who decides that?

The disengagement of the delivery I trace back to the PTSD affectlessness of Mobb Deep but it doesn't have the iciness and the charisma of Havoc and Prodigy. That's my problem. Not the lyrics per se

What is 'rap proper' though, and who decides that?
    It's a bit like when Logan Sama said on here that Lady Soveriegn wasn't grime and all these weirdoes were Shocked and Outraged and said he was trying to be a gatekeeper and police the genre, but like it's obvious isn't it

Mind you we never got to hear Bartys reasoning behind this minor provocation. (which was aimed at Trilliam)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

that comparison don't really work though because like jungle grime only works when its totally fundamentalist and passes the invariant catechism down from producer to producer.

whereas the catholic nature of street rap is what makes it appealing even though there has not been 'deep' lyrics in forever.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Mind you we never got to hear Bartys reasoning behind this minor provocation. (which was aimed at Trilliam)
    I miss trilliam - I can just imagine him rolling his eyes HARD at most of the threads on here lately though

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post: