Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roc Marciano Is An Abomination

Default Roc Marciano Is An Abomination

Discuss.

Good topic and obviously refers not just to the individual but to the school, the movement. Music that is a careful forgery of rap, not the thing itself.

Obviously a thread designed to bait specific individuals too which is always promising. ... where's trilliam?

not the hugest fan but lol at man who raves about culture era Migos when they were far better no label II era.

Also do you actually like anything ayatollah reynolds doesn't tell you to because that's long.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Bartys called Trilliam out and now 3rds called barty out! This is guna be a good one!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

third's never forgiven me for saying dubstep isn't proper nuum.

actually i said prior to late 05-06 there was not a codified dubstep proper sound. there were beats that could go both ways grime or emerging dubstep. the 2009 americanised dubstep is not really nuum proper, irrespective of its merits or demerits.

Roc Marciano is an Abomination, but not in the way that Luka thinks.

Luka reacts against practical atheism and flatness because he believes everything should be about the display of the angles of the psyche in gesture. He's a Doug E Fresh person, not a Slick Rick person. My father's like that.

Barty; Third; let's stay on topic. There's no such thing as Dubstep. Please, proceed.

Cmon lets get this playground scrap started. Corpse, stoke the fires, stir it up. It's the younger generation in their own dissensus hunger games.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Should really listen to rocs latest two albums, perhaps when I come of my weed fast in about a week

I was a soldier in the field
    Where you only get to eat what you can kill

I think abomination is way too harsh a term in this context.

Roc is basically adult rap. that's all it is really. I find that far more morally sufficient than leftfield rap fans who read the fader pitchfork and others and then spill their load over jpegmafia when chief keef, schoolboy q and earlier the hyphy people were making far more abstract beats. but because jpeg namechecks throbbing gristle this coheres an air of sophistication in the minds of the white rock intelligentsia. It's not hard to have a defining sonic identity but these are people who don't really like 2012 era King Louie.

So actually the template needs to be rewritten because in the 00s it was undie and maybe dilla but today it's anything but, dilla has basically been left to old funk/soul/disco heads (something im cool with) whereas the coil aesthetic has been magnified to inextricably stupid levels. it's basically all far more latently racist than anything before it, but because it's dressed up in woke gloss and its black people making these so-called abstract musical compositions people don't clock the kind of rewriting of history going on here.

Again the problem is not TG as an influence it's defaulting to that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

this is ultimately the foals - cassius-ification of hip hop. So a lot of the criticisms of underground actually apply to this stuff far more. Ironically if you go back over the hh aesthetically brutalised thread you can see how mark was so miserably wrong. he wanted consciously modernist hip hop divorced from the carnal pleasures of the street or the philosophising of masculine occultists and this is what he got.

Cover your ears for this awful indie song.

I'm actually comfortable with abomination if only because I've told Luka before how I consider Marciano's music 'zombified' in the best ways.

Rap, b/c it's an ever moving dialog should keep proceeding and by that right Marciano should be... idk making whatever commercial music Jadakiss tries every 2 years after recharging the good will tanks with freestyles and what have you. Awkward guest verses on DJ Khaled songs, whatever. Instead he remains petrified in 93 but in a bombed out, scarce way. This isn't the mythical esotericism of past-prime Wu-Tang emulation, this is Bombed Out NYC rap, roasted over nuclear fried remains, those outlines of bodies you see from A-Bomb strikes. The casts of bodies from Pompeii. That sort of thing. It's the music a man who's my mother's age more or less should make.

Marciano should in some sense stop making music, stop being a phantom. Luka finds the phantasm tacky, yells at it 'move on' like it's a solicitor. But it (marci) can't move on because it doesn't exist anymore, the blocks have been stopped, the friends have died, the roads paved over etc.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

You're almost making me want to relisten to the reloaded LP again. like some crazy marc acardepaine step brother who grew up in the states and is black.

I get you though. it's just inevitable though after a 20 year cycle really.