Roc Marciano Is An Abomination

luka

Good topic and obviously refers not just to the individual but to the school, the movement. Music that is a careful forgery of rap, not the thing itself.

luka

Obviously a thread designed to bait specific individuals too which is always promising. ... where's trilliam?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
not the hugest fan but lol at man who raves about culture era Migos when they were far better no label II era.

Also do you actually like anything ayatollah reynolds doesn't tell you to because that's long.

luka

Bartys called Trilliam out and now 3rds called barty out! This is guna be a good one!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
actually i said prior to late 05-06 there was not a codified dubstep proper sound. there were beats that could go both ways grime or emerging dubstep. the 2009 americanised dubstep is not really nuum proper, irrespective of its merits or demerits.

CrowleyHead

Roc Marciano is an Abomination, but not in the way that Luka thinks.

Luka reacts against practical atheism and flatness because he believes everything should be about the display of the angles of the psyche in gesture. He's a Doug E Fresh person, not a Slick Rick person. My father's like that.

Barty; Third; let's stay on topic. There's no such thing as Dubstep. Please, proceed.

luka

Cmon lets get this playground scrap started. Corpse, stoke the fires, stir it up. It's the younger generation in their own dissensus hunger games.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Should really listen to rocs latest two albums, perhaps when I come of my weed fast in about a week

I was a soldier in the field
Where you only get to eat what you can kill

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think abomination is way too harsh a term in this context.

Roc is basically adult rap. that's all it is really. I find that far more morally sufficient than leftfield rap fans who read the fader pitchfork and others and then spill their load over jpegmafia when chief keef, schoolboy q and earlier the hyphy people were making far more abstract beats. but because jpeg namechecks throbbing gristle this coheres an air of sophistication in the minds of the white rock intelligentsia. It's not hard to have a defining sonic identity but these are people who don't really like 2012 era King Louie.

So actually the template needs to be rewritten because in the 00s it was undie and maybe dilla but today it's anything but, dilla has basically been left to old funk/soul/disco heads (something im cool with) whereas the coil aesthetic has been magnified to inextricably stupid levels. it's basically all far more latently racist than anything before it, but because it's dressed up in woke gloss and its black people making these so-called abstract musical compositions people don't clock the kind of rewriting of history going on here.

Again the problem is not TG as an influence it's defaulting to that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is ultimately the foals - cassius-ification of hip hop. So a lot of the criticisms of underground actually apply to this stuff far more. Ironically if you go back over the hh aesthetically brutalised thread you can see how mark was so miserably wrong. he wanted consciously modernist hip hop divorced from the carnal pleasures of the street or the philosophising of masculine occultists and this is what he got.

Cover your ears for this awful indie song.

CrowleyHead

I'm actually comfortable with abomination if only because I've told Luka before how I consider Marciano's music 'zombified' in the best ways.

Rap, b/c it's an ever moving dialog should keep proceeding and by that right Marciano should be... idk making whatever commercial music Jadakiss tries every 2 years after recharging the good will tanks with freestyles and what have you. Awkward guest verses on DJ Khaled songs, whatever. Instead he remains petrified in 93 but in a bombed out, scarce way. This isn't the mythical esotericism of past-prime Wu-Tang emulation, this is Bombed Out NYC rap, roasted over nuclear fried remains, those outlines of bodies you see from A-Bomb strikes. The casts of bodies from Pompeii. That sort of thing. It's the music a man who's my mother's age more or less should make.

Marciano should in some sense stop making music, stop being a phantom. Luka finds the phantasm tacky, yells at it 'move on' like it's a solicitor. But it (marci) can't move on because it doesn't exist anymore, the blocks have been stopped, the friends have died, the roads paved over etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You're almost making me want to relisten to the reloaded LP again. like some crazy marc acardepaine step brother who grew up in the states and is black.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love Crowley's description of 'bombed out' rap.

However, I think it's a generalisation based on a wider knowledge of rap. Essentially, you're writing it off before you've heard it, or as you hear it.

If that's because you find the music intrinsically boring or badly done (I suspect you do, you find it 'zombified' as opposed to 'mannerist'), that's fine. Personally, I think Roc Marciano is great at what he does - these nonchalant spools of 'fly' talk. Not heard his more recent albums but I also love the beats on 'Reloaded', e.g., like 'We Ill' in particular, dense atmospheric noir.

He drops a lot of 'ohhhh!' lines. Like listening to it he ties up these patterns so perfectly and sometimes with this ultra dry humour, that you go 'ohhh!' like when you were skateboarding and your mate landed a good trick.

This is a kind of nourishment that you don't get with a lot of drill rappers, whatever you might say about their innovations with monosyllables etc.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Crowley is the greater authority on NYC rap and on rap in general, no denying that

But I'm a greater authority on why Roc Marciano is good, cos I like him

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The obverse applies with Migos, incidentally

I reckon I probably know more about rap than Barty on the whole, but do I know about Migos? No, because I can't stand them. But does that mean I'm right, cos I've listened to more 90's rap albums?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The obverse applies with Migos, incidentally

I reckon I probably know more about rap than Barty on the whole, but do I know about Migos? No, because I can't stand them. But does that mean I'm right, cos I've listened to more 90's rap albums?

It depends. I can't work out yer position. sometimes you're into 67 - money spree and beats like that, and other times you speak like a true schooler. i can never work it out. sometimes i think you have a similar taste to me, classic UK style being caught between fresh beats and the classic soul cords formula, but then other times i'm not sure you do. I would say it coheres more authority on you, historically... not that you've said much about Migos apart from a vague disgust as far as i can see... whereas Luke takes a position that is all now now now future forget 90s rap to gode barty but barty seems in love with tinashe party favours which came out in like 2014. it's a 5 year long break up. never seen anything like it really. usually my break ups take 10 minutes. one for the psychoanalysis books in the future. maybe our barty is the next Freud who knows?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno, I think if rap was all like roc marciano in 2019 I'd be depressed and uninterested. So I respect that viewpoint. I guess luka/crowley view it as something clogging up the system. And obviously there IS something deadly about Roc Marci/Ka - the emotionaly deadness of tone, the drum-less beats, the sense that it could be any year, not 2019...

OTOH I think there's a lot of 90's venerating rap around which IS uninteresting. I don't think I'm just a 90s guy deluding myself that Roc Marciano is a good rapper/producer.

P.S. Should point out here that I do find a lot of Roc Marciano boring too, even on Reloaded and Marcberg there's not that many tracks I revisit.