Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'chillwave continuum'?

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    that's what woebot used to say about ae, and he didn't get them at all
    That's funny because AE cuss out modern concrete practitioners as limited. they are electro through and through tbh, just a spectral take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    and yeah, surely the first vaporwave artists were very enamored with internet 1.0 and the facelessness of it. arguably vektroid et al releasing albums under so many different pseudonyms is what gave the impression that it was an actual "genre" at all; I think people became interested partly because it seemed more like a depersonalized movement than it even really was.

Ah no sorry my mistake I was talking about the deconstructed club end of internet music, Rabit, some stuff on pan, etc.

Some of its decent some isn't it but it's not like something i can get hugely interested in beyond certain artists. whereas early electronics i can never have enough of that, in the same way that i still can't get over anything with a chopped amen and ragga/soul sample.

as for vapourwave i have no idea and i think a lot of its a visual rather than a tactile aspect. prefer florian hecker for that kinda vibe.
    Last edited by thirdform; 18-02-2019 at 07:42 AM.

i always thought hauntology was like when you were on acid and u were traversing the home counties just for laughs and saw an open house window and were like hey let's jump through it into the bog and see what's in here, and then getting that ghostly sensation of a little boy (maybe even ur doppelganger from another parallel universe) running at u cackling maniacally and trying to riggle onto u and then jumping with fright with heart palpitations and then suddenly being jolted back to reality in the house and saying this place is crap let's go back into the bog and climb out the window.

or playing with an 8 track tape machine's rewind/fast forward functions to get the funny voices and squidgy lifeforms after smoking 10 spliffs.

Yeah man, that shits creepy and weird.

but no.
    Last edited by thirdform; 18-02-2019 at 07:53 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

hauntology from 1993 i guess.

regret that we've invested so much in the internet creatively in the past decade and (seemingly) gotten so little in return.
    Me:-worlds greatest greatest writer having devoted his entire output to 4 or 5 blokes on dissensus.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Hauntology is a load of rubbish.

It's kinda telling that the end point for the internet side of this stuff seems to be Fashwave. We've come so far.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trillhouse For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    It's kinda telling that the end point for the internet side of this stuff seems to be Fashwave. We've come so far.
    u mean hardvapour and shit like that

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    That's funny because AE cuss out modern concrete practitioners as limited. they are electro through and through tbh, just a spectral take on it.
    yeah totally, that's what I meant--he was holding them to standards that aren't what they're aiming for.
    Last edited by mvuent; 19-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.

also, for anyone itt, what are the best albums/projects to come out of the "chillwave continuum"? if there wasn't much in the way of scenius, are there any high points that justify its existence?

What would such continuum be made of? Is there really a line running from new wave to cold wave, to pop synth (late eighties, early nineties) straight into vaporwave (early 2010)? What happened in between?

Quote Originally Posted by other_life View Post
    u mean hardvapour and shit like that
    I think hardvapor was a reaction to some in the scene's dislike for what vaporwave was becoming, so they declared it dead. But in the chronology of vaporwave as a musical genre it was nearly always fairly fractured, quickly separating into classic, hypnagogic drift, vaportrap, future funk etc and people are still making good music in those genres.

But in the purely internet side of things, where the genre has made it's home in places like 4chan, it was inevitable it would become a meme and then eventually get exploited in the meme / culture war, with people trying to co-opt it's popularity with a political message. So you get artist who put out second rate vapor-like tracks, with the same aesthetic, but they'll have an old fascist speech sampled in the background. Or Trumpwave which is the same but with Trump speeches. The Hauntology factor of the accompanying imagery is often weighed heavily with the popularist messages of Nationalism and returning to a time when America was great and men were men etc etc.

galactic lebensraum.

it's trance for internet fash because hardstyle is too militantly fascist but not in the way of fashwave. i got it in it.

i grabbed a fuck ton of stuff from slsk and started a new rym account to work through and review this thing, lots of it is not really discussed on rym and i'd like to get people excited about it. so far there are 6 reviews, all of astronaut + splits they did, the band 0pn was in

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post: