Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardcore Aphorizmz

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I like this one. It puts me in mind of Rodin: "The body is a cast that bears the imprint of our passions..
    Those are all Cioran. Hes pretty much all aphorism all the time.

It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late.

Man starts over again everyday, in spite of all he knows, against all he knows.

Intelligence flourishes only in the ages when belief withers.

Every thought derives from a thwarted sensation.

Chaos is rejecting all you have learned. Chaos is being yourself.

The fact that life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one.

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

One does not inhabit a country; one inhabits a language. That is our country, our fatherland - and no other.

Consciousness is much more than the thorn, it is the dagger in the flesh.

No one recovers from the disease of being born, a deadly wound if there ever was one.
    And

A book is a suicide postponed

No earthly idea what this means
    Have you never heard of being born again?

Just because you're nuts, doesn't mean you're not also a cunt.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Just because you're nuts, doesn't mean you're not also a cunt.
    ^words to live by
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

tempted to post some Yogi Berra classics but probably too light-hearted for what I think are the intensions of this thread. generally humorous bordering on nonsense, but usually with a kernel of truth.

There aren't any intentions to this thread really. I was hoping we could discuss the aphorisms rather than all posting dozens but I don't really mind if ppl do that, either.

I think Nietzsche is the king of aphorisms, his aphorisms routinely shock me and I'm left wondering if it's the shock I'm seduced by or something truthful in the statements:

In the end one loves one's desire and not what is desired.

He rises well above the sort of aphorism that is merely amusing or well phrased. His aphorisms are shanks to the heart.

Whoever despises himself still respects himself as one who despises.

Polish comes from the city; wisdom from the desert.

Edit: basically the whole damn book, really.
    What does this mean? What is polish?

I thought that one was fairly self-explanatory, i.e. urban living fosters social dexterity and superficial charm (edit: what pattycakes said) but a deep understanding of life comes from living in marginal environments.

It's from Dune, where the ruling classes, bourgeois merchants and their various hangers-on live in a handful of towns and cities and the rest of the population comprises hard-as-nails mystical survivalists who inhabit a desert that makes the Sahara look about as inhospitable as the Wiltshire countryside on a sunny May morning.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 11-02-2019 at 02:10 PM.

slickness

I thought that one was fairly self-explanatory, i.e. urban living fosters social dexterity and superficial charm (edit: what pattycakes said) but a deep understanding of life comes from living in marginal environments.

It's from Dune, where the ruling classes, bourgeois merchants and their various hangers-on live in a handful of towns and cities and the rest of the population comprises hard-as-nails mystical survivalists who inhabit a desert that makes the Sahara look like about as inhospitable as the Wiltshire countryside on a sunny May morning.
    What do you make of that argument, then?

I'd have thought some people who live in urban locations have more of an experience of 'real' life than anyone - unless these count as sort of desert islands in the midst of slick urbanity.

One thing I think you do forget living in a city is the natural cycle of life - which is right in your face in the countryside.

ok, well in that case...

yogi addressed our ongoing desire for exclusivity, the knowing, the in-crowd, the notion of needing to be the insider who's privy to the cool shit before others and later knee-jerk rejects that same coolness once a wider audience becomes aware, our constant striving to discover the next obscure hip scene and abandon what was previously held on high once the plebs rush in, our endless futile pursuit of the next big thing.

"nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

What do you make of that argument, then?

I'd have thought some people who live in urban locations have more of an experience of 'real' life than anyone - unless these count as sort of desert islands in the midst of slick urbanity.
    I thought as I was typing my response that some parts of some cities (IRL, I mean) are pretty marginal environments - but it makes sense in the context of the book. It's basically about a sheltered, perhaps luxurious artificial environment vs a harsh, unforgiving, natural one.

It reminds me of Tolstoy's attitude towards cities and the countryside - all his urban characters are graceful hypocrites/scumbags, his rural characters all salt of the earth, godly, honest people. Mind you, it's worth remembering that most (if not all) of his urban characters are rich, dissolute, sheltered from the poverty of the slums (which you find in Dostoevsky, e.g.)

Tolstoy famously hated Chekhov's story 'Peasants', which showed rural life in a much less glamorous light.

Do other religions than Catholicism have confessional? I think that must be a powerful attraction of Catholicism, like cut-price therapy

No earthly idea what this means
    lmao it's marcel mauss writing about sorcery and shit
    it's not really an aphorism but it jumped out at me bc of the physicality so i wrote it in a notebook