Hardcore Aphorizmz

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm going to post maximum one maxim per day, without the author named (obviously easily googleable but the idea would be to discourage prejudgement), and let's see what we think of them:

It seems that in order to inscribe themselves upon the heart of humanity with everlasting claims, all great things have first to wander about the earth as enormous and awe-inspiring caricatures.

other_life

bioconfused
the spirits have refashioned their entrails, beaten them with their weapons, bitten them on the tongue... it is expressly stated that the novice actually dies in order to be reborn after their revelation.

droid

Music is everything. God himself is nothing more than an acoustic hallucination.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
“It takes, unhappily, no more than a desk and writing supplies to turn any room into a confessional.”

Is this intended to describe the tendency of writers (perhaps of this writer in particular), or of people in general?

To expand on this, as a consistent journal-keeper, I find that I 'confess' things to the journal that I wouldn't share with even my closest friends, BUT that I still conceal things from it! The act of writing, weirdly enough, seems to me to be always performative.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the spirits have refashioned their entrails, beaten them with their weapons, bitten them on the tongue... it is expressly stated that the novice actually dies in order to be reborn after their revelation.

No earthly idea what this means

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Polish comes from the city; wisdom from the desert.

Edit: basically the whole damn book, really.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's funny how many really well-known ones people usually get wrong, often because they've been shortened from their original form. For instance:

"Blood is thicker than water" is short for "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb", i.e. close friendships formed by choice are stronger than the bonds of consanguinity - which are, after all, coincidental.

Or:

"Jack of all trades, master of none", which should be "Better a jack of all trades than a master of none", i.e. it's better to be quite good at lots of things than to attempt, and fail, to excel at a single skill or vocation.

I'm sure there are others.

droid

I like this one. It puts me in mind of Rodin: "The body is a cast that bears the imprint of our passions.”.

Those are all Cioran. Hes pretty much all aphorism all the time.

It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late.

Man starts over again everyday, in spite of all he knows, against all he knows.

Intelligence flourishes only in the ages when belief withers.

Every thought derives from a thwarted sensation.

Chaos is rejecting all you have learned. Chaos is being yourself.

The fact that life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one.

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

One does not inhabit a country; one inhabits a language. That is our country, our fatherland - and no other.

Consciousness is much more than the thorn, it is the dagger in the flesh.

No one recovers from the disease of being born, a deadly wound if there ever was one.

And

A book is a suicide postponed

Leo

tempted to post some Yogi Berra classics but probably too light-hearted for what I think are the intensions of this thread. generally humorous bordering on nonsense, but usually with a kernel of truth.