Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low End Theory. A book by Nomos

i haven't read the book, but i do feel a bit like bass as a theology is a little worn out

i'm afraid the very title "low end theory" makes me droop a little bit

by the time people started going on about "bass weight" - circa the height of dubstep - it felt like something that had been canonised into almost a form of sonic virtue, after a good decade or two of writings about dub etc

and also given a kind of quasi-political power that it doesn't really possess

like is it really that threatening, is it really a form of sonic warfare, are the walls of citadel really shaking and about to collapse?

and then on another tangent;

nowadays with so many people listening on ear buds or not-that-good headphones or computer speakers, the shift in music does seem to have gone over to the mids and the highs, in the sense of where the action is - those little ear-tickling intracies of production

that Wayne Marshall academic dude wrote a blog post about treble culture a decade ago, and he was partly picking up on earlier pointers from people talking about the trebletastic aspects in 2step and bassline and the dizzy-making gloss of Auto-tuney pop, Afrobeats etc

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    " but bass is a slippery thing to study "
    A quote which could from both a book on sound and a book on angling.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    i haven't read the book, but i do feel a bit like bass as a theology is a little worn out
    by the time people started going on about "bass weight" - circa the height of dubstep - it felt like something that had been canonised into almost a form of sonic virtue, after a good decade or two of writings about dub etc

been trying to verbalise this for a decade. on point. dubstep is about as weak a genre as i can think of. early stages excepted.
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 11-02-2019 at 06:30 PM.

i should say i still enjoy a good b-line, a bit of oozy low end, as much as ever

having listened to trap mostly via the radio through a not terribly good car audio set-up, and also off my computer, when i recently upgraded my computer speakers and got this enormous black block of a sub-woofer - i was knocked out by how much bass is contained on those records still. the Auto-Tune wavery vocals and the IDM-ish wistful melody loops and the ambient sound-design catch your ear in a lot of listening contexts, then those mid-pitched snare and hi-hat rolls. But they are still investing a lot of attention in the low end of the spectrum, despite the medium being soundcloud, spotify etc etc

when i was trying out the subwoofer for the first time with Migos and that type of thing, the door in this sort of rickety shed-like room at the front of the house that serves as my workspace, it was shaking in its frame and making a horrible rattling sound - the window glass was wobbling. exciting / alarming!

i suppose what's gone for me though is that feeling that i had with especially jungle but the whole spectrum really, of bass as dangerous - like you really did feel like there was some connection between the visceral impact and social-energy shockwaves

it felt like power... and there was a fairly easy connection that suggested itself between sub-bass and what the academics called sub-altern populations

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

You can get amazing near audiophile earbuds from China for about 40. Orders of magnitude better than anything Apple or most most phone manufacturers sell. Just received a new batch in the post and the bass is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    You can get amazing near audiophile earbuds from China for about 40. Orders of magnitude better than anything Apple or most most phone manufacturers sell. Just received a new batch in the post and the bass is delicious.
    got a link?

https://penonaudio.com/earphones/earbuds

I always go for earbuds as IEM/ear canal phones don't sit right with me. I'd recommend the toneking tomahawks for budget niceness. Clear, crisp highs and mids and nicely rounded bass.

https://penonaudio.com/earphones/ear...rz-earbud.html

Head fi is the best place for reviews: https://www.head-fi.org/

And if you want to take a chance on a pair just remember to stick with 3.5mm and that anything over 32ohm will = low volume on a phone or anything without a pre-amp.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Fucks sake Simon you're such a lout

So territorial. You're like a rutting stag. Good job I never wrote a book about music, I would have had my head flushed down the toilet

It's not a book of music criticism. It is a book that tries to think about what sound does at a material level, not just in at ear but throughout the body inside and across the skin surface and tries to start thinking a sonic body.

Me and Barty have done lots of very good work on this already. Very intelligent and profound and world changing.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Look forward to reading this, I for one still believe in the redemptive power of bass.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

You'll love it droid. Very little in it about music per se though.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

The bass never went away, we just stopped hearing it.

A fable of sorts.

oi blissblogger, let's see you trying to get a book published. then we'll see who's laughing.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

He's just jealous.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post: