Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low End Theory. A book by Nomos

Default Low End Theory. A book by Nomos

I've ordered this great book by dissensus stalwart nomos. It's going to be a great book can't wait to read it. So impressed with our boy. Let's all read it together.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

"a global mystery called The Hum"

sounds like cyclonopedia but for dubstep instead of oil

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vimothy For This Useful Post:

cool, will read it over the weekend. should be finished by monday.

Dissensus is in the acknowledgements! I've pulled the book out the bin and started reading it! It's guna be great.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

So far this book looks to me like it is twinned with the work me and Barty started here in earnest on the feminine pressure thread. The objective experience of music with this notion of the sonic body being much the same as what I call the sugar glider. I'm really getting a buzz off it but also feel disappointed that someone with so much to say hadn't shared it with us here.

"We point to the problems that arise when work in this culturelist mould attempts to bracket out aspects of material existence. This stance explicitly keeps nature and materiality at a remove, holding that they can only ever be encountered through our ideas about them and denying the possibility of influence in the other direction"

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    "a global mystery called The Hum"

sounds like cyclonopedia but for dubstep instead of oil
    I think they eventually came to the conclusion that it was caused by shifting tectonic plates, but it's probably a cover-up for Godzilla or Cthulhu or something.

Good to see that he gets that the imagination uses a synesthetic super language. He grasps a lot of the foundational things we've hashed out here over the last however long. Such a shame he didn't join in much. Could have helped a lot.

I asked myself why these projects always seem to lean so heavily on Deleuze and Guattari (with Spinoza & Nietzsche hovering in the wings) and it's really just cos they're the only ones who allow you to have fun without the finger wagging isn't it.

If you have to perform contortions in order to justify enjoying yourself you'll struggle to write about dance music.

Halfway through. Disappointed in you lot for your lack of interest in this book as in many ways its written for you.

Post some quotes.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

You'll have to make allowances for the writing. It's in the theory genre but by the standards of the genre I think it's very limpid and sure footed and balanced.

" the materiality of sonic experience "

" the chronic elision of materiality in the study of popular music "

" in the throbs of an east London dance floor "

" liminal events that can only be called sound-like"

" but bass is a slippery thing to study "

" this contingent, imaginative body that emerges in its sonorous relations, is what will be called THE SONIC BODY "

" this sonic body can be productively mystified by anomalous vibration (which works as an incitement to imagination, experimentation and invention) "

" rhythmic air pressure fluctuations, ubiquitous force, vibration separating from tones, not-quite-sounds, half felt presences of indeterminate shape, perception confounded, imagination stirred "

18. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Basically he really likes dubstep so he finds loads of other things which are also dubstep such as air conditioning units, big bronze bells, church organs, caves, passage tombs.

It does have to work within the very conservative constraints of the genre which is a bit frustrating. I think he should use dissensus to do some actual active theorising (that is, making stuff up) but I'm enjoying it a lot. (And I hate dubstep)

A lot of it rhymes with this very famous passage from the poem Prediction Tablet, although here the context is word

"Now a lot of it is transmitted as pressure alone
    So weight of it, as force transmitted through it- see it?
    Degree of tenderness degree of strength,
    as touch, felt at skin receptor site
    Maternal to paternal axis
    Weights and measures
    Where the force locus?
    Where generated?
    How applied?
    Torque inclement
    Gale force precipitating
    Cyclonic
    Atmosphere disturbance
    Abnormal fluctuations
    In instruments
    Spatial acoustic dimensions of the
    Frame-cavern-extent-cave-chest
    Echo location very advanced sensing equipment
    Speaking out of what depth, what extremity torn this utterance/against that cyclonic torque withstood
    In that tearing
    Lashed that is, to the mast"