Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Stuff.

better than all the so-called deconstructed club that came after it imo.

also let's not talk about eco grime because that stuff gives me nightmares.

think zuli and mumdance on nts radio will fulfill some of those needs. the latest keysound on rinse was good by all accounts i hear but not heard it yet.

some more juttering beats though.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    N1L, Renick Bell and Sim Hutchins are the best of the stuff on UIQ, I reckon. It can all start to sound a bit too much like Autechre though. Lee Gamble's NTS show is decent, but I always forget to listen and end up downloading the odd recording months later.

that doesn't really concern me so much they have their own unique sounds that whilst being very similar to AE are not. i remember the dark days of the IDM era when you would have autechre clone after autechre clone. given that AE are my favourite electronic act (who needs kraftwerk anyway?) i found it all a bit disheartening. especially a lot of the bedroom stuff on schematic. really yucky indie whiteboy melancholy melodies over glitched hip hop beats. dire stuff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Spectrum Spools put out a lot of good stuff. I quite like the contemporary output of Berceuse Heroique too. And Pinkman, LIES or Knekelhuis, although sometimes their releases can get very bleak.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Numbers For This Useful Post:

i quite like this recent mix by zomby, am not sure if it's all his own material but it does has his signature sound

https://soundcloud.com/killingkush/zomby-guest-mix-for-bone-soda-nts-nov-18

8. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

I don't want to feel I'm eating vegan food in Shoreditch Box Park. At least the stabbing music feels like Outside the Box Park.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

How is it possible to listen to new music without feeling like you're in a Nike Air stealth marketing campaign?

This is all synonymous with the birth of the hipster and the gentrification of culture and so IS hand in glove with the gentrification of Shoreditch. Maybe it's possible to do something outside of London, but then we would only hear it once it was coopted
    Last edited by luka; 08-02-2019 at 10:14 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Has the cost of promoting music replaced the cost of producing it?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Well that's why I'm into the more abstract stuff really. the music with feeling and emotion i can't do because of exactly that aspect. london is dead. this is what annoys me a tad about still reading blackdown's blog, forget london. it's finished. it's only multicultural in terms of a cheap labour force that white people can fuck about. otherwise as a city its sound structure or its musical output doesn't really mean anything. like come off it, a lot of the drill stuff, there are like echoes of jungle, but who the fuck wants echoes? that's like middle class trap.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

third, I like some of the stuff you've posted here but most of it is just slight variations (or not even) on basic techno, isn't it? I'm not knocking it, just don't hear much that's "new" in it.

like it or not, stuff like LSDXOXO is busting the underground in NYC right now. then you have Yves tumor, again maybe not everyone's cup of tea but definitely "new stuff", kind of avant-r'n b.

not interested in new rnb. you're taking a 60 year old genre and flagging its dead corpse. Even more old than techno. who cares? I'll check out lsdxoxo though. wasn't big on yves tumor.

lol thanks leo we're going back to 95 again but...

the ethos of these guys was very prescient. neo-soul in the 21st century is for white people with a guilty race complex still. me and my mates back in the day listened to old rnb if we wanted soul.

the thing is me luca and version are showing you lot the way but you lot don't even have the humility of a nasreddin hoca pupil and that's saying something. all about those paltry emotional feelings. we don't want that. London is dead. love is dead! sex is dead! relationships are dead! they are all transactions now. rather than trying to recover some conservative halcyon haze the important thing is to surrender to electricity, to dispense with that contemptible ritual of capital. Everything has come to an end!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Has the cost of promoting music replaced the cost of producing it?

you're on the right track but i'd say promotion in the sense of turning people onto shit doesn't exist anymore. it's all authoritarian advertising now. i mean john peel didn't like half of what he played lol. i know some people will say he did, but that's bollocks isn't it. he didn't fake it though. that infrastructure doesn't exist anymore. music has all become about the bourgeois personality again. if philip sherbourn or Andrew Rice or chal ravens writes about it then they must like it, and when they don't its acceptable not to like it. Like if it was cool to like James Blake in 2019 and Sherburn doesn't like the album he wouldn't be able to write that bollocking in pitchfork. the personality is already preordained by the industry apparatus before pen hits paper.

That's why i rate blissblogger for all his inaccuracies because it doesn't hide being partisan and maybe even being wrong. the journalist as fan doesn't exist anymore. it's a PR machine.

I think that joe muggs defence of brostep probably didn't convince many fact mag readers but i think it was the right thing for him to do, in the sense of hitting at the post-pitchfork readership of many of these publications. people are trying to treat dance music either as some kind of hyper aware political thing (antiestablishment) or this music on an emotional level with classical music or whatever. neither is the case. it's precisely the trashy drug noise that makes dance music so radical. it went places where the more traditional EBM/industrial couldn't go, which just endedup reverting to a darker version of european hard trance.
    Last edited by thirdform; 08-02-2019 at 12:57 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    third, I like some of the stuff you've posted here but most of it is just slight variations (or not even) on basic techno, isn't it? I'm not knocking it, just don't hear much that's "new" in it.

like it or not, stuff like LSDXOXO is busting the underground in NYC right now. then you have Yves tumor, again maybe not everyone's cup of tea but definitely "new stuff", kind of avant-r'n b.

I'm listening to lsdxoxo boiler room. yeah i can see how people can rate this but tbf im not really into jersey club anb its descendents. the reasons for that are complex but essentially because post-jersey club became the post-dubstep for straight folks after post-dubstep fizzled out. we saw it all with night slugs. now night slugs shows on rinse are pretty boring atm, not like they were in 2011-12, basically the other day i heard bok bok play a set with hardly any grime or bassy bits in it. that is a problem we have to deal with in the uk. everything will become postified. luckily you don't seem to have that dynamic in the states. part of why i bang on the industrial techno drum a lot. it's about keeping that uncompromising hardcore alive. the problem is the structures will remain regimented in dance music necessarily for djs. so it's about going into new relationships with sound which i think the leftfield/no-skool techno does. otherwise you listen to club chai or whatever and it's like ok yeah middle eastern but you aren't even making aksak beats in 6/4 or 7/8 or 9/8. or 2/9. you are basically doing the entry level euclidian rhythm thing where you just subdivide a bar in ableton. well yeah you can do that with a break just chop it into microbits and make polyrhythms out of it. the thing is to come up with a new rhythmic vocabulary, to rewire the body. and that will generally mean making music unfit for djs to mix. but given dance musics histrionic worship of someone being able to put 2 4/4s together that's not going to happen. again that's why i like Autechre because they are making dance music (when you get down to it) but they aren't really making it for club djs. you can certainly mix a lot of it into a set, you just have to do it in a non-linear way.
    Last edited by thirdform; 08-02-2019 at 01:16 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post: