mvuent

Void Dweller
You want to make music that means something, that could help topple the Tories, but you're making instrumental techno music like 20,000 other ppl in bedrooms, what is to be done?

N.B. I've not listened to the music being described so perhaps it's actually extremely effective.

lol. deadpan.

I like Lee Gamble's stuff a lot though. haven't listened to the last two albums.

version

I remember reading a tweet a few years ago where someone said something along the lines of "from now on nobody's allowed to release a record that doesn't have a convoluted essay/concept attached to it there's absolutely no evidence of in the music" and it definitely feels that way. You see some write up talking about whatever it's supposed to be about then it's just a slightly weird house tune or something Autechre did fifteen years ago.

version

Probably, a lot of it just comes off as marketing to me. It may just be confirmation bias but it feels as though there's been tons of records which get write ups about how they're tackling the internet, fake news etc etc then the record just sounds like Arca or SOPHIE, doesn't improve on what they've done and the concept doesn't seem to extend beyond the PR.

Leo

unfortunately, there's literally no barrier for entry in electronic music anymore. anyone with a laptop and some software can make tunes, so there's a trade off: on one hand, potential access to some great shit we'd never hear otherwise, AND lots to derivative, second-tier/third-rate wannabes who would have gone unheard in the past.

Leo

Boomkat's reviews are a good deal more fluffy than RA or say, something like this: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/rroxymore-face-to-phase/

Guess they're trying to provide mental models for engaging with the music more than describing what the music evokes. A little impromptu dorm room stoner meandering-y. Maybe they take from the press release.

boomkat isn't an editorial site, it's a music retailer. their blurbs aren't reviews, they are descriptions designed to help sell the product. their blurbs are almost entirely from the record label press releases, all you have to do is compare what they post to what appears on other retail sites or distributors such as forced exposure.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was asked to write a press release once and it was probably the worst thing I've written for publication (against stiff competition).

Describing instrumental music is very hard to do without using spurious metaphors or directly comparing it some other music. Actually the latter is probably the better route to go down for marketing purposes, right?

I dunno maybe I'm being philistine, demanding that music just be a bag of crisps. There's room for conceptualism, and music isn't listened to in a vacuum, ever.

Leo

mana "seven steps behind" is the only hyperdub release I've liked in years, aside from the occasional weird record from scratcha dva. in fairness, I haven't paid close attention to everything but what I've heard hasn't been that interesting.

entertainment

Proc Fiskal is the only thing I heard from Hyperdub lately that didn't parttake in those exhaustingly humorless dystopiaesthetics. Been quite into Actress lately but that's also gloom.

luka

I hate using teenage as a pejorative cos I cherish teenage idiot energy and I defend teenage pretension and overreach but this black clad miserabilism is a teenage energy I can't support.

version

version

I'll be honest, it is all music which sounds as though it was made by people who live in white-walled apartments with wooden floors and potted plants next to their decks.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I know some graphic designers these days and I'd say they're far more likely to have guitars on their wall and be in a band.

But maybe that's just the ones I know.