Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester

The question of what is worth preserving is one that sees the left/right divide break down. It's where you get wizened but regal tory grand dames arm in arm with scruffy leftie book botherers.

I don't think of history as dungeons and dragons I think it really happened. Winchester takes you back to the very dawn of the nation, to Lucius, to Alfred the Great, to William the Conquerer.
    To the spread of Christianity through the old networks of Rome with all the miracle men, missionaries and saints.
    To the time before political unity when the island was constantly besieged and invaded and plundered from without.
    How all this stuff plays out and the material traces that it leaves.
    These two entwined and turbulent histories of secular and religious power leading up to the reformation. And the knowledge also that the language is being born here also. That this stuff precedes Chaucer by hundreds of years.
    All very, very potent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

So not cos it's really pretty and full of old people then? More cos it was the old capital.

And because the cathedrel is empty and very beautiful. And outside I felt I was within birdsong, surrounded by it everywhere for the first time in ages

I got totally the wrong end of the stick, I thought you were seduced by the aspic preserved comforts of a picturesque English pseudo-town rather than awed by the power of an ancient capital of Albion. Both things have their merits though.

There's a world of difference between seeing and being within an historic landscape and seeing it's artifacts and monuments in situ than walking round a museum. You get the whole gestalt or whatever. It's also a town where yhe countryside, the south downs in this case, feels right there, as a presence. As I say I can't remember the lazt time I felt so inside the web of birdsong, one of the very best listening experiences you can have. That field of three dimensional space and sound sources everywhere and the webs weaved between voices trilling and chirping

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    There's a world of difference between seeing and being within an historic landscape and seeing it's artifacts and monuments in situ than walking round a museum. You get the whole gestalt or whatever. It's also a town where yhe countryside, the south downs in this case, feels right there, as a presence. As I say I can't remember the lazt time I felt so inside the web of birdsong, one of the very best listening experiences you can have. That field of three dimensional space and sound sources everywhere and the webs weaved between voices trilling and chirping
    It's true, it does feel like it's in the country. More so than other, maybe even smaller, places. That's why I mentioned that it was on a hill, I really had this sort of sensation of a town built around a hill and climbing out of all this countryside that surrounded it.

And hills are very beautiful too aren't they? These great folds in the land itself, the giant energies behind those crumplings, that geological time pulse, and the thin layer of biomass cladding them, the green mesh. Vegetable Empire built on the rock. Those two distinct time pulses. I love hills. And you're right, sort of. It's more in the cleft between hills so you can climb out of it and look down over it.

Is it? I'm probably thinking of somewhere else....
    But yes, there is a beauty and (not just a twee one, one with power) in the English countryside. Probably everywhere but it's that one I'm noticing a lot now that I've moved away.

Is there anywhere that gives the same buzz? Possibly I'd have to stay somewhere overnight. Wells?

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Is it? I'm probably thinking of somewhere else....
    But yes, there is a beauty and (not just a twee one, one with power) in the English countryside. Probably everywhere but it's that one I'm noticing a lot now that I've moved away.
    It's subtle I suppose isn't it. But once you register it you can't shake it off. It's there as a presence.

A living presence not as residue

Similar presence? Good question? I dunno, first guess would be somewhere like York or some other old cathedral city. Lincoln maybe (I never been there). Don't think Oxford would fit the bill somehow...

But maybe you're on the right lines with West Country places such as Wells - never been there mind.