Winchester

kevinoak

I can speak to Winchester. Make sure to see Winchester Cathedral. The Great Hall, West Gate and military museums are also interesting. If you're a Jane Austin fan, her house is not too far away. On the weekend there is usually a lot of activity downtown. Although its been a while since I've stayed there, I would recommend the Wykeham Arms as a place to both stay and eat. Use travelsites to plan everything thoroughly.

Have fun!

john eden

male pale and stale
A schoolfriend visited Winchester with his parents in the mid 80s and the punk scene there made an impression on him. In the summer of 1987 or 88 his parents left him alone in the house with strict instructions not to have parties or to use their car.

He didn't find it particularly easy to adhere to either of these simple rules and so the two of us ended up borrowing the car and driving to Winchester with his acoustic guitar and a bottle of vodka. The plan was to earn our money busking and hook up with the Winchester punks for subversive hedonism.

He hadn't met any of said punks and it's fair to say we were embarrassingly awful at busking. We slept in the car in a multi-storey carpark and drank all the vodka too quickly. We stayed for a week and I have no memory of eating, but presumably must have done.

The punks were pretty accomodating it turned out. I have vague memories of a not very good party in an abandoned lawyer's office that had been squatted. It was a typical small town scene based around one pub and hanging out in the town square. Probably there was a local band and there were some fragile alliances with heavy metal types, members of Class War and various other odd bods.

Inevitably my mate's parents found out about his transgressions and he shortly moved into a tent in the garden of some goth friends, before moving to Manchester.

Last edited:

kevinoak

So I can speak to Winchester. Make sure to see Winchester Cathedral. The Great Hall, West Gate and military museums are also interesting. If you're a Jane Austin fan, her house is not too far away. On the weekend there is usually a lot of activity downtown. Although its been a while since I've stayed there, I would recommend the Wykeham Arms as a place to both stay and eat. Use travelsites to plan everything thoroughly.

Have fun!