Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hipsters, in hindsight.

Hipsters and Music Journalists are evil twins.

Both are usually non-musicians (or lapsed ones).
    Both declare what's "cool" to the non-knowing proles, often in a condescending way.
    Both are always on the hunt for the "relevant", the "next big thing" without actually creating it by themselves, or without any loyalty to it.

Popcultural parasites.

Among the music journalists there are exceptions - the blissblogger one of them - who are genuinly interested.

But then, as pop culture evaporates continuously, they (the smug ones) are less and less "relevant" themselves.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

One quintessential hipster move is to invest in the gourmet, upmarket version.
    You see this with gentrified burgers and fried chicken, you see it with hand stitched japanese hoodies and the whole fashion end of 'streetwear' and of course you see it in post dubstep.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    to translate (to the extent that i've grasped the concept). the 90's saw a cultural melting pot; true integration of race and class. to think in garage, you had lee fagan, that bloke from so solid who killed his bird and mighty mo all in the same scene. hipsterism is about recovering and reasserting a broader middle class identity.
    I'm not quite sure what you are implying here, but if it is the idea that Mighty Mo is a common or garden cockney then it's wrong- I think his parents are from Afghanistan or somewhere else in Central Asia.

did young people became more beautiful the last 15/20 years? everybody is looking so sharp, no more funny teeth or neglected moustache, hair always in style.

Yes, by the feedback loops of selfies and self presentation and tagged photographs and the visual eye oppression of facebook and instagram

At least in photos - are they better looking in real life though?

try and go in one of those coffee places. the girls all perfect body, fitness style, guys tall and muscled, laser-cut beard, the hair shining, the skin nice and moisturized. no pimples, no weird hairs sticking out somewhere, no lanky silhouettes or flappy ears. cloud of good smell all around them. beautiful teeth, stunning noses.

Sounds great, I'll need to check one out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Higher grooming standards, ease of access to treatments, scientific and technological advances, higher living standards, greater knowledge/awareness of things like diet, exercise, sleep and exposure to the sun coupled with intensive marketing making sure that people are aware of and feel that they need to make full use of these things.

it's almost a form of aesthetic facism. kinda like the nazi idealized superior race shit sold to each other through social media

I'd be total basket case if social media existed when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Higher grooming standards, ease of access to treatments, scientific and technological advances, higher living standards, greater knowledge/awareness of things like diet, exercise, sleep and exposure to the sun coupled with intensive marketing making sure that people are aware of and feel that they need to make full use of these things.
    Probably also a feedback loop whereby less attractive people stay at home and become neck-/leg-beards.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 03-04-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

lot of less attractive people have learned how to make the most of what they've got with hairstyles and clothes also though.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    lot of less attractive people have learned how to make the most of what they've got with hairstyles and clothes also though.
    Weirdly, I've often noticed the precise opposite when it comes to hipsters - people who are actually fairly attractive, or would be, but who've fucked it up with ludicrous clothes/hair.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Yeah, all that ugly beautiful, geek chic, embarrassing 80s high school yearbook photo, brutalist fashion etc. Def ain't my thing. Some pull it off but nah