Hipsters, in hindsight.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Higher grooming standards, ease of access to treatments, scientific and technological advances, higher living standards, greater knowledge/awareness of things like diet, exercise, sleep and exposure to the sun coupled with intensive marketing making sure that people are aware of and feel that they need to make full use of these things.

Probably also a feedback loop whereby less attractive people stay at home and become neck-/leg-beards.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
lot of less attractive people have learned how to make the most of what they've got with hairstyles and clothes also though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
lot of less attractive people have learned how to make the most of what they've got with hairstyles and clothes also though.

Weirdly, I've often noticed the precise opposite when it comes to hipsters - people who are actually fairly attractive, or would be, but who've fucked it up with ludicrous clothes/hair.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Yeah, all that ugly beautiful, geek chic, embarrassing 80s high school yearbook photo, brutalist fashion etc. Def ain't my thing. Some pull it off but nah

firefinga

it's almost a form of aesthetic facism. kinda like the nazi idealized superior race shit sold to each other through social media

Hitler errr I mean Instagram Youth...

OTOH I see a lot of fat and ugly kids also IRL. I suppose they just stay away from the insta-meat-market-district.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, all that ugly beautiful, geek chic, embarrassing 80s high school yearbook photo, brutalist fashion etc. Def ain't my thing. Some pull it off but nah

Spain is absolutely full of gorgeous women with terrible hair, but the aesthetic there is more hippy than hipster - more in line with how a long of young/ish people look in Camden/Brighton/Bristol.

linebaugh

I very astutely said the russian invasion online had the same atmosphere as a kanye album drop

there used to be jokes pre 2016 about waiting for pitchfork/needle drop to reveiw an album before one decides whether they like it or not and now you the exact same jokes being made about waiting to hear what x/y/z podcast has to say about whatever current geopolitical event before one decides if its good or not

linebaugh

Not sure its a 2016 thing though. Much more likely that its gen z entering the college age range where politics/marxism has always been popular

Leo

Can you expand a bit on how this feels. I come from a country that is universally loved which brings its own annoyances but I often wonder what it would feel like to be English or American, the shame etc

that's why it's better to be an elite globalist, allows you to dodge all sorts of national embarrassments.

Edit: maybe should be a globalist elite, actually

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
What you should do Luke is get 2 pint glasses, sear the tea in one then let it steep in the other. You'll end up with a large amount of nice tea.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was saying to one of my friends that some English people (still) think that England is the best country in the world. And then It sort of occurred to me that people from lots of countries think that their country is the best in the world and I said this out loud... but Luis said "Literally nobody thinks that Portugal is the best country" - which I can say from experience is not quite true*, but I think it may be the case that it is one of the countries where it's closer to being true than most and I think that is a good thing. Well, obviously it's a good thing, but it's particularly good if you can not just recognise it, but be comfortable with it and happily accept that you have nothing that you need to prove.

*you will get the odd nutter who given half a chance will start banging on about the Portuguese empire or how they resisted the Romans or some incredibly brave thing some regiment did in some war or other and how that proves that the Portuguese are fundamentally the greatest people in the universe, but it's not like in the UK where it feels that if you stop someone on the street and ask them which country is the best you've got like a fifty percent chance that they will reply England! with complete sincerity.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Does he put cream and sugar in his tea?
Why do people say this? In the UK it is standard to have milk in one's tea but I have never in my life heard of anyone putting cream in there. In America you have cream and milk and the difference is well understood so why on earth do people have this completely bizarre idea that the British put cream in their tea?