punk/anarchist/squat techno autopsy

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's a weird lineage i mean some people were still continuing it into the early-late 00s. it was kinda like hardcore rave > hard techno > wonky/electro/gabba>early breakcore. and then i guess it went into its own internal mechanisms like every other scene. the funny thing is these guys used to play alongside the liberator types sometimes so they belong here but they were on a different trip.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
basically i am trying to get at why the kids in club culture aren't throwing free/squat parties? how did that lineage die? because the genre hopping and mashing is still all there, but its all done in a sanitised way.

Or why are only psytrance and acid tekno kids in that scene nowadays. what happened to the gabba, electro and jungle heads?

Is it all gentrification? if anything that should prompt more of a backlash, but it isn't. So one could conclude that maybe music is not really speaking to the kids apart from a kind of ambient soundtrack? But in which case why not just plonk on a load of new age cds?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
why aren't the boylan beats being shelled at squats? some of those stuff are like an industrial hardcore take on grime instrumentals...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
arrived in LDN around 2002 with nice stuff going on pretty much weekly. used to get party info from squatjuice. eventually the police caught on and they stopped making public announcements. probably went semi reg for a good 3 years. in the beginning they were full of charming old hippies and mad fer it youth. mdma was the drug. when K took over the vibe changed pretty quick. all of a sudden skinheads were coming in with staffs and mugging people. the music seemed to follow suit. i was out of it completely by 2006. bad vibes.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
arrived in LDN around 2002 with nice stuff going on pretty much weekly. used to get party info from squatjuice. eventually the police caught on and they stopped making public announcements. probably went semi reg for a good 3 years. in the beginning they were full of charming old hippies and mad fer it youth. mdma was the drug. when K took over the vibe changed pretty quick. all of a sudden skinheads were coming in with staffs and mugging people. the music seemed to follow suit. i was out of it completely by 2006. bad vibes.

Well yeah first nail in the coffin was liberator type techno turning into te-k-no. Which was inevitable because it was basically trance without the melodies. it was even less funkier than carl cox type tribal techno that was huge then. the real innovative stuff in that scene, as we said was the wonky stuff more in the djax/relief lineage.

Last edited:

luka

This makes me think about how presence in a culture is dependent on being able to get things done. To set up and run a pirate would have been a huge job. Squat parties, perhaps less so, but it still represents a significant investment of time and effort and possibly money.

Both things also represent a risk, in all sorts of ways. So we're talking about a kind of cultural heroism regardless of aesthetic valuation.

luka

There's a part of me that's a little wary and a little weary of this tendency to explain every symptom of the stalled present by pointing and shouting INTERNET
but also INTERNET. You simultaneously remove the barriers to gaining an audience and fracture that audience to the point nothing can gain critical mass. There is a problem here and we have to find a solution.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I thought an app like team talk could be an opening to that where you could stream a file or stream into a channel that was inhabited and people could chat to each other like they would on skype. alas the problem is the stream just buffers when i try to do it for a long period of time and its just pointless.