Online (post-geographic) Localism.

Numbers

I wonder if you can even recognise the new when you're old

Thing is: novelty is ontologically nonsense. Its necessary condition being that what it claims as new, is different from all what is and hence that it is, what is not. Problem is that if that would be really the case, no novelty could ever be understood or recognised. The new can never be new, or it wouldn't be comprehensible. It should always carry the old along, as it were, to mark its difference. Style is a very clear indication of that, as usually styles only make sense when played out against a precedessor or a historical context and not as an absolute value.

In that sense, longing for a next incarnation of the hardcore continuum and requiring it to be novel, might be quite frustrating and little fruitful. If anything, it's certainly a game of diminishing returns. At least for me. I think, one should look for counter-continuums, different modes of production and distribution, competing value systems, etc.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's funny

Cos you get these pastiche jungle tunes now which do the opposite thing and drag in the new with the past

Ruining it by making it sound "better"

Imagine we return to olden times and live in huts but the huts have WiFi and Alexa

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Words that instantly turn me off, for some reason, I've realised today on here

Chillwave
Liminal
Autechre

sadmanbarty

It was also literally just me you and corpse being brilliant and showing off for one another though. I loved it but would be good to get everyone wanting to play the same game.

1) you're forgetting crowl

2) that's not actually true. there were sprawling d beat conversations we'd never touch with a pole. there was a whole jim morrison thing i wasn't involved with. all sorts of rhtyhm stuff you weren't. you and eden had a whole thing about nuum mc's not being canonised in the same way dj's are. droid was integral to the danhceall autopsy. likewise benny and eden were central to feminine pressure. version did your favourite post on the nuum autopsy. blissblog was involved.

what i'm saying is that all we need to do is the silver age, but in a way that doesn't piss people off. the dematerialisation thread was a very successful go at this.

sufi

lala
It's interesting (is it?) I work in marketing and words are valued according to SEO. How searchable is this word? So now genre names are presumably more self applied than in the past, because you're in an online marketplace where you have to be searchable.
received just now (& anonymised for pseudo-gdpr) said:
Hi,

This is probably the worng email address to write to but I've been on your website dissensus.com and on Linkedin, and couldn't find the right contact person.

The coworker I am trying to reach is in charge of making product content - My guess would be that's the one in charge of maybe SEO or Marketing? Can you help me finding out who this is?

The reason I am asking is that my company has developed a Software that automates content production with the use of AI and I want to understand better how it is done without such a tool.

---
Steven J. M♽⚛⚚⚛⚚⚗l
Head of Growth
⚚⚗⚝S⚚m♽⚧tics GmbH
Stuttgart, Germany
https://ab♽ut.⚚⚗-⚛⚧⚚♽.c♽m
:confused emoji: but i can link you up :crylarf:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Related to that is the whole mindset of the internet age - it's the "what else" "what next" thing - of having infinite options for diversion of your consciousness

So that even if a musician created something radically new, in this era, the shock wouldn't register much, it would be one of a billion curiosities, something to sandwich occasionally in-between memes and news and Netflix boxsets

It's the best of times it's the worst of times

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And in actual fact my aversion to even think about autechre, say, is in part a reaction to the deluge of choice the internet presents me with

Each new thing I discover disturbs me as another in too many paths to ever explore or devote myself to

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Perhaps true internet music would simply flitter from one thing to the next, never giving you time to absorb it or enjoy it, never progressing linearly, suggesting connections only, not disconnections (everything online is in a web, excuse the pun)...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And what music could possibly overcome this competition?

The most meticulous music becomes Muzak when the smartphone has whittled attention spans to nothingness

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I mean I'm aware of the danger of projecting my somewhat abnormal psychology onto society at large, but it seems well documented that the internet is having a toxic effect on people's psyches.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Concomitant to chaos is the urge to control, to categorise, to judge, dismiss, shut down, destroy.

This is tale at least as old as The Wasteland.

I wonder if on some subconscious level the rise of the right has to do with this assailing of the consciousness by distraction and chaos?

luka

3) is what I was getting at with this thread obviously and what I think in principle should be the most potent as meaning isn't so such something inherent in the object but something which accrues with use and valuing- with investment in it essentially and that happens most reliably in small communities with direct involvement and ownership.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
gah u lot even see the sherelle and riz incident where everyone mad at riz misjudging a rewind? it a huge thing to appear so woke. that's new music in 2019. it's the whole chronic image discourse around it that turns me off.

My mate was a bit on that race trip over it all and whilst making a valid point literally got into the white man disrespects black woman thing 1) we don't know that only Sherelle does, 2) well that is undoubtedly the case in the industry but writing about it in mixmag is basically working within that gentrification. bit pissed off with it all in all honesty. literally might consciously leave dance music behind.

Like the beginnings of a community is you've gotta let people slip up. if you become so invested in identity politics everything is call out culture from watching boiler room from your home, then uh...

Last edited:

luka

It's your generation mate you sort it out. We were into taking drugs and irrevocably sabotaging our lives.